Bently History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origins of the Bently name lie with England's ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. It comes from when the family lived in one of the many places called Bentley. These included parishes in the counties of Suffolk, Hampshire, Warwickshire, Derby, and Essex, as well as a myriad of small hamlets throughout the counties of England. The surname is derived from Benet-legh which literally means the field of Benedict. Alternatively the name could have come from "Bentley (clearing overgrown with bent grass.)" 
Early Origins of the Bently family
The surname Bently was first found in various parishes throughout England including Suffolk, Hampshire, Warwickshire, Derbyshire, and Essex. 
The Pipe Rolls of Derbyshire listed William de Benetega in 1176 and William de Benteley was later listed in the Feet of Fines for Warwickshire in 1316-1317, 
The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 including some of the first mentions of the family: John de Bentelege, Derbyshire; and Roger de Benetlye, Yorkshire.
Later the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 listed Alicia de Benteley; and Ricardus de Benteley, "carpentar." 
Important Dates for the Bently family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bently research. Another 107 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1600, 1662, 1742, 1896, 1662, 1742, 1662, 1693, 1742, 1692 and 1693 are included under the topic Early Bently History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bently Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Bently were recorded, including Bentley, Bentli, Bentlie, Bently and others.
Early Notables of the Bently family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Richard Bentley (1662-1742), an English theologian, classical scholar and critic. He was the son of Thomas Bentley by his second wife, Sarah Willie, and was born on 27 Jan. 1662 at Oulton, in the parish of Rothwell, near Wakefield, in the West Riding of Yorkshire. "The Bentleys were yeomen of the richer sort. They had been somewhat impoverished by the civil war, in which Bentley's grandfather had served as a royalist captain...
Another 78 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bently Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bently family to Ireland
Some of the Bently family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bently migration to the United States
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Bently family emigrate to North America:
Bently Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Eliza Bently, who arrived in Virginia in 1635 
- Jo Bently, aged 34, who arrived in Virginia in 1635 
- Hen Bently, who arrived in Virginia in 1638 
- Mark Bently, who arrived in Maryland in 1649 
- Richard Bently, who arrived in Maryland in 1657 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Bently Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Bently, who landed in Virginia in 1705 
- Francis Bently, who landed in Virginia in 1714 
- Jacob Bently, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743 
Bently Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Bently, who landed in New York in 1822 
Contemporary Notables of the name Bently (post 1700)
- Donald E. Bently (1924-2012), American entrepreneur and engineer, founder and former owner of Bently Nevada Corporation
- L. R. Bently, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 3rd District, 1863 
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York, Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html