Belser History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Belser family
The surname Belser was first found in Lancashire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Belser family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Belser research. Another 201 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1246, 1258, 1265, 1332, 1401, 1512, 1522, 1608, 1622, and 1628 are included under the topic Early Belser History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Belser Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Belser are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Belser include: Balshaw, Balshawe, Ballshaw, Balsagh, Balshagh, Balshay and many more.
Early Notables of the Belser family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Belser Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Belser migration to the United States +
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Belser or a variant listed above:
Belser Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Karl Friedrich Belser, who arrived in Ohio in 1869 
Contemporary Notables of the name Belser (post 1700) +
- Caesar Edward Belser (1944-2016), American AFL and NFL football linebacker and safety
- James Edwin Belser (1805-1859), American Democrat politician, Member of Alabama State House of Representatives, 1828, 1853, 1857; U.S. Representative from Alabama 2nd District, 1843-45
- Mrs. Irvine F. Belser, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Carolina, 1952
- William Belser Spong Jr. (1920-1997), American Democratic Party politician, United States Senator from Virginia (1966-1976)
- William Belser Spong Jr. (1920-1997), American Democrat politician, Member of Virginia State House of Delegates, 1954-55; Member of Virginia State Senate, 1956-66; U.S. Senator from Virginia, 1966-73; Defeated, 1972 
Historic Events for the Belser family +
- Mrs. Katherine Belser, Irish Third Class Passenger from Belfast, Ireland who was traveling aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Commemoration Empress of Ireland 2014. (Retrieved 2014, June 16) . Retrieved from http://www.empress2014.ca/seclangen/listepsc1.html