Bechod History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Soon after the Norman Conquest of England in 1066, the name Bechod was recognized on the island as a name for a Norman or an excessively religious person. Normans were referred to as Bigots by the French, although the meaning of the word is unknown. After the 15th century, a nickname adapted from the phrase by God took on the form Bigot. There is some suggestion that the name in Normandy had been Wigot, and there was a line descended from Wigot de St.Denis, a great nobleman of Normandy, who made grants to Cerisy Abbey in 1042, and in 1050 subscribed a charter of Duke William at the head of the Norman barons. 
Early Origins of the Bechod family
The surname Bechod was first found in Essex at Dunmow and Finchingfield, where they were granted lands by King William after the Norman Conquest in 1066. Roger Bigod is also listed in Domesday Book; he was a Sheriff, with large land holdings in Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk. Marston-Biggott in Somerset was an ancient family seat. "This place derives the affix to its name from the Bigott family, to whom the manor for several centuries belonged, and the site of whose ancient mansion is still marked by the moat." 
"Earl Roger, "noted for his singular skill in all warlike exercises," was one of the most accomplished knights of his day; and had few equals either in the tilt-yard or the field. His domain contained one hundred and sixty-two knight's fees: and he stands forth in history as the true type of the great feudal Seigneur, haughty in bearing and fearless of tongue, whose power in the realm might challenge-if it did not threaten-the authority of the King himself. His name is brought prominently before us in all the transactions of Henry III.'s reign." 
Early History of the Bechod family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bechod research. Another 284 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1096, 1095, 1177, 1182, 1225, 1266, 1107, 1144, 1150, 1221, 1209, 1270, 1245, 1306, 1066, 1166, 1227, 1214, 1522, 1150, 1220, 1298, 1508, 1637 and 1515 are included under the topic Early Bechod History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bechod Spelling Variations
A multitude of spelling variations characterize Norman surnames. Many variations occurred because Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England also had a pronounced effect, as did the court languages of Latin and French. Therefore, one person was often referred to by several different spellings in a single lifetime. The various spellings include Bigot, Bigode, Bygod, Begod, Bigod, Wigot, Bidgood and many more.
Early Notables of the Bechod family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Roger le Bigod (1150-1220), son of Hugh Bigod, 2nd Earl of Norfolk, who was recorded on the Falkirk Roll. This roll was a list of those at the Battle of Falkirk (July 22 1298), when the forces of Edward I defeated a Scottish army under William Wallace.
Migration of the Bechod family to Ireland
Some of the Bechod family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bechod family
Many English families left England, to avoid the chaos of their homeland and migrated to the many British colonies abroad. Although the conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and some travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute, once in the colonies, many of the families prospered and made valuable contributions to the cultures of what would become the United States and Canada. Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Bechod or a variant listed above: Richard Bidgood who settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1638; and V. Bigot who settled in San Francisco Cal. in 1851. In Newfoundland, Benjamin Bidgood was a juror in St. John's in 1751.