Normans brought with them when they conquered England in 1066. The Baycons family lived in Suffolk. Originally, the name Baycons was originally derived from a seigniory in Normandy. Some of the family came from Maine, and there the name was also spelt Bacco. CITATION[CLOSE]
The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X) This name appeared in England after members of the Baycons family had migrated from Normandy to Suffolk.
Early Origins of the Baycons family
Suffolk, where they held a family seat at Monks' Bradfield as early as the reign of Richard (1189-1199.) CITATION[CLOSE]
Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print. Now known as Bradfield St. George, Monks-Bradfield is a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Thedwastry, in the west division of Suffolk. CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print. Shortly after the Conquest, some of the family was also found at Letheringsett, in Norfolk. "According to the genealogy of the great Suffolk family of Bacon, one Grimbald, a relative of the Norman chieftain William de Warenne, came to England and settled near Holt. His great grandson is stated to have taken the name Bacon. " CITATION[CLOSE]
Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print. Not all the family went to England as seen by William Bacon who in 1082, endowed the abbey of the Holy Trinity at Caen.
Early History of the Baycons family
Another 415 words (30 lines of text) covering the years 1066, 1214, 1294, 1500, 1621, 1510, 1579, 1540, 1624, 1587, 1657, 1618, 1600, 1663, 1645, 1660, 1623, 1666, 1561, 1626, 1593, 1660, 1622, 1687, 1685, 1687, 1647, 1676, 1676, 1672, 1721, 1700 and 1707 are included under the topic Early Baycons History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Baycons Spelling Variations
spelling variations. This is largely due to the fact that Old and Middle English lacked any spelling rules when Norman French was introduced in the 11th century. The languages of the English courts at that time were French and Latin. These various languages mixed quite freely in the evolving social milieu. The final element of this mix is that medieval scribes spelled words according to their sounds rather than any definite rules, so a name was often spelled in as many different ways as the number of documents it appeared in. The name was spelled Bacon, Bachun, Bacun and others.
Early Notables of the Baycons family (pre 1700)
Baronet, of Redgrave (c. 1540-1624), MP, Premier Baronet of England, half-brother of Sir Francis Bacon; Sir Francis Bacon (1587-1657), an English judge, son of John Bacon...
Another 142 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Baycons Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Baycons family to Ireland
Some of the Baycons family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Baycons family to the New World and Oceana
Because of the political and religious discontent in England, families began to migrate abroad in enormous numbers. Faced with persecution and starvation at home, the open frontiers and generally less oppressive social environment of the New World seemed tantalizing indeed to many English people. The trip was difficult, and not all made it unscathed, but many of those who did get to Canada and the United States made important contributions to the young nations in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers with Baycons name or one of its variants: Daniel Bacon who settled in Virginia in 1635.
The Baycons Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Mediocria firma
Motto Translation: Mediocrity is safe.
Baycons Family Crest Products