England following the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Badgun family lived in Suffolk. Originally, the name Badgun was originally derived from a seigniory in Normandy. Some of the family came from Maine, and there the name was also spelt Bacco. CITATION[CLOSE]
The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X) This name appeared in England after members of the Badgun family had migrated from Normandy to Suffolk.
Early Origins of the Badgun family
Suffolk, where they held a family seat at Monks' Bradfield as early as the reign of Richard (1189-1199.) CITATION[CLOSE]
Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print. Now known as Bradfield St. George, Monks-Bradfield is a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Thedwastry, in the west division of Suffolk. CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print. Shortly after the Conquest, some of the family was also found at Letheringsett, in Norfolk. "According to the genealogy of the great Suffolk family of Bacon, one Grimbald, a relative of the Norman chieftain William de Warenne, came to England and settled near Holt. His great grandson is stated to have taken the name Bacon. " CITATION[CLOSE]
Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print. Not all the family went to England as seen by William Bacon who in 1082, endowed the abbey of the Holy Trinity at Caen.
Early History of the Badgun family
Another 415 words (30 lines of text) covering the years 1066, 1214, 1294, 1500, 1621, 1510, 1579, 1540, 1624, 1587, 1657, 1618, 1600, 1663, 1645, 1660, 1623, 1666, 1561, 1626, 1593, 1660, 1622, 1687, 1685, 1687, 1647, 1676, 1676, 1672, 1721, 1700 and 1707 are included under the topic Early Badgun History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Badgun Spelling Variations
spelling variations. When the Normans became the ruling people of England in the 11th century, they introduced a new language into a society where the main languages of Old and later Middle English had no definite spelling rules. These languages were more often spoken than written, so they blended freely with one another. Contributing to this mixing of tongues was the fact that medieval scribes spelled words according to sound, ensuring that a person's name would appear differently in nearly every document in which it was recorded. The name has been spelled Bacon, Bachun, Bacun and others.
Early Notables of the Badgun family (pre 1700)
Baronet, of Redgrave (c. 1540-1624), MP, Premier Baronet of England, half-brother of Sir Francis Bacon; Sir Francis Bacon (1587-1657), an English judge, son of John Bacon...
Another 142 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Badgun Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Badgun family to Ireland
Some of the Badgun family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Badgun family to the New World and Oceana
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that plagued their homeland made the frontiers of the New World an attractive prospect. Thousands migrated, aboard cramped disease-ridden ships. They arrived sick, poor, and hungry, but were welcomed in many cases with far greater opportunity than at home in England. Many of these hardy settlers went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Among early immigrants bearing the name Badgun or a variant listed above were: Daniel Bacon who settled in Virginia in 1635.
The Badgun Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Mediocria firma
Motto Translation: Mediocrity is safe.
Badgun Family Crest Products