Backes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origins of the Anglo-Saxon name Backes come from its first bearer, who was a person with a hunched back, or some other peculiarity of the back or spine. The word back is originally derived from the Old English word bakke, which in turn is derived from the Old English word boec.
Early Origins of the Backes family
The surname Backes was first found in Somerset, where they held a family seat before the Norman Conquest of 1066.
Important Dates for the Backes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Backes research. Another 208 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1055, 1182, 1277, 1297, 1327, 1349, 1369, 1563, 1594, 1689, 1754, 1796, and 1878 are included under the topic Early Backes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Backes Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Backes has been spelled many different ways, including Back, Backe, Bace, Bac, Bak, Bache and others.
Early Notables of the Backes family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Backes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Backes migration to the United States
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Backess to arrive in North America:
Backes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Backes, who landed in Brazil in 1827 
- Peter Backes, who arrived in North America in 1852 
- August Backes, who landed in Brazil in 1857 
- Valentin Backes, who arrived in Brazil in 1859 
- Conrad Backes, who landed in North America in 1862 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Backes (post 1700)
- David Backes (b. 1957), American author and professor
- Joan Backes, American artist
- Ron Backes (b. 1963), retired American shot putter
- Scott Backes (b. 1957), American mountaineer
- David Anthony Backes (b. 1984), American professional NHL ice hockey center and right winger and captain of the St. Louis Blues, two-time Olympian
- Fernand Backes (b. 1932), Luxembourg boxer at the 1952 Summer Olympics, Chevalier in the Order of Merit of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg in 2008
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)