Atterton History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the name Atterton date back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from their residence in Atherton in the county of Lancashire.
Early Origins of the Atterton family
The surname Atterton was first found in Lancashire at Atherton, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby. "This place was held of the barons of Warrington by Robert de Atherton, in the reign of John; and in this knightly family the manor descended through many generations, successively allied to the Byrons, Warrens, Ashtons, Butlers, Catterals, Conyers, Irelands, and Bolds: by the marriage of the late Lord Lilford with the heiress of Atherton, the manor came to his lordship's family.
Atherton Hall, a superb edifice, built by the Atherton family in the early part of the 18th century, at an expense of about £63,000, was taken down in 1825." 
Atterton, is a small hamlet, in the parish of Witherley, union of Atherstone, hundred of Sparkenhoe, in Leicestershire. 
Other first records of the name include Robert de Atherton who was Sheriff of Lancashire in the year 1206. His son William de Atherton held a manor at Atherton of the Barons of Warington. Years later, Hugh de Atherton was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of that shire in 1332. 
Early History of the Atterton family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Atterton research. Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1598, 1640, 1640, 1598, 1635, 1634, 1636, 1640, 1640 and 1721 are included under the topic Early Atterton History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Atterton Spelling Variations
Atterton has been spelled many different ways. Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Many variations of the name Atterton have been found, including Atherton, Atheron and others.
Early Notables of the Atterton family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include John Atherton (1598-1640), English-born Anglican Bishop of Waterford and Lismore in the Church of Ireland. He and his steward and tithe proctor John Childe were both tried and executed for buggery in 1640. He "is believed to have been born at Bawdripp, in Somersetshire, in 1598, where his father. Rev. John Atherton (a canon of St. Paul's), was rector of the parish. In 1635 he became chancellor of Christ Church, and held also the rectories of Killaban and Ballintubride, in the diocese of Leighlin. He was chancellor of Killaloe in 1634. His highest promotion was...
Another 136 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Atterton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Atterton migration to the United States +
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Attertons to arrive on North American shores:
Atterton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Atterton, who landed in Maryland in 1673 
Atterton migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Atterton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Atterton, aged 41, a gardener, who arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Epaminondas" 
Contemporary Notables of the name Atterton (post 1700) +
- Edward Atterton (b. 1962), English actor from Tamworth, Staffordshire, known for his roles in The Man in the Iron Mask (1998), The Mists of Avalon (2001) and Relative Values (2000)
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ South Australian Register Monday 26th December 1853. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) Epaminondas 1853. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/epaminondas1853.shtml.