Askem is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon
origin and comes from the family once having lived in parishes called Askham,
, and Westmorland
(now part of Cumbria).
Early Origins of the Askem family
The surname Askem was first found in Yorkshire
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Askem family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Askem research.Another 491 words (35 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1313, 1379, 1515, 1553, 1650, 1752 and 1553 are included under the topic Early Askem History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Askem Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations
were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Askem family name include Askham, Askheam, Ascham, Askum, Askam and others.
Early Notables of the Askem family (pre 1700)
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Askem Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Askem family to the New World and Oceana
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland
, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Askem surname or a spelling variation of the name include: W.B. Askam, who sailed to San Francisco in 1850; and Charles, James and Luke Askam who journeyed to Philadelphia in 1854.