The name Arkell reached England
in the great wave of migration following the Norman Conquest
of 1066. It is based on the Dutch surname Van Arkel.
The name Van Arkel
may spring from the Anglo-Saxon
form of Hercules,
which is Ercol.
A less likely root of the name is the parish of Ercoll Magna,
or High Ercoll
Early Origins of the Arkell family
The surname Arkell was first found in Berwickshire
, in south east Scotland
, arriving in Scotland
soon after the Norman Conquest
in 1066. They are the northern branch of the family name descended from Anketell, or Arnketill.
Early History of the Arkell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Arkell research.Another 125 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1500, 1533, 1588, 1572, 1626 and 1621 are included under the topic Early Arkell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Arkell Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries. For that reason, spelling variations
are common among many Anglo-Norman names. The shape of the English language was frequently changed with the introduction of elements of Norman French, Latin, and other European languages; even the spelling of literate people's names were subsequently modified. Arkell has been recorded under many different variations, including Arkell, Arkle, Arkill, Arcle, Argal, Argall, Arnkell, Artell, Artill, Arctall, Arktale, Arktell, Arktull, Arkgale and many more.
Early Notables of the Arkell family (pre 1700)
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Arkell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Arkell family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Arkell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Joseph Arkell, aged 24, a gardener, who arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Constance" CITATION[CLOSE]
State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) CONSTANCE 1850. Retrieved http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1850Constance.htm
Contemporary Notables of the name Arkell (post 1700)
- James Arkell, American politician, Member of New York State Senate 18th District, 1884-85 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- John Arkell, prominent British corporate executive
- William Joscelyn Arkell (1904-1958), British paleontologist
- Reverend Anthony Arkell (1898-1980), British historian, Egyptologist, and colonial administrator, who became the commissioner for archaeology and anthropology in the Sudan, and later, the Vicar of Cuddington
- Reginald Arkell (1882-1959), British playwright and comedic novelist