100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Warnick was first found in Ayrshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland
, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say before the Norman invasion
of 1066. They were originally a sept of the Grahams and known as the Mac-Gille-Warnocks, and gave their name to the parish of Gaitgillmakkilwernock in Kirkcudbrightshire
. The Clan
was more properly known as the MacIlvernocks.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Warnock, MacGilvernock, Warnick, Warnoch, McIlvernock, M'Illvernoche and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Warnick research. Another 168 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1185, 1320, 1489, 1602, and 1688 are included under the topic Early Warnick History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Warnick Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Warnick family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 264 words (19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Warnick Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel and William Warnick arrived in Philadelphia in 1806
- Richard Warnick, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1851
- John George Warnick, who arrived in Arkansas in 1886
Warnick Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mary Warnick, aged 26, who emigrated to America from Sligo, in 1903
- George R. Warnick, who landed in America, in 1908
- David Warnick, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Ballymoney, Ireland, in 1911
- Dora Warnick, aged 24, who landed in America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1912
- Hannah Warnick, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1912
Warnick Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- George Warnick, aged 46, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1910
- Nelly Warnick, aged 39, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1910
- George Warnick, aged 36, who landed in St. John's Newfoundland, in 1913
- Judith Warnick, American politician of the Republican Party
- Kim Warnick (b. 1959), American musician, co-founder, bassist, and lead vocalist of the Seattle band Fastbacks
- Virginia Warnick, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1972
- Spencer K. Warnick, American politician, Member of New York State Senate 27th District, 1903-06
- Jon Warnick, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Colorado, 2012
- David Warnick, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Idaho, 1972
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
This page was last modified on 26 October 2015 at 09:17.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!