100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Italian
The surname Felix is a patronymic surname, created from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal System. The name Felix came from the Latin word "felix," which means "happy."
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Felix include Felici, Felice, Filice, Felise, Felis, Felisaz, De Felice, De Felici, Del Felice, Di Felice, Felicetti, Felicetta, Felicini, Felicioli, Feliciotti, Feliciani, Felician, Feliziani, Felicioni, Felisati, Felisatti, Feliciangeli, Felicitas and many more.
First found in Rome (Italian: Roma), the capital of the Kingdom of Italy, where Marcus Antonius Felix was a prominent member of the community, as he is known to have cleared the country of robbers.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Felix research. More information is included under the topic Early Felix History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 127 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Felix Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Felix or a variant listed above:
Felix Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jon Felix, who landed in Virginia in 1653
Felix Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Magdalena Felix, who arrived in Carolina in 1734
- Barbara Felix arrived in Pennsylvania in 1734
- Michael Felix, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Nicolaus Felix, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Stephani Felix, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1768
Felix Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Don Felix arrived in Baltimore in 1823
- A Felix, aged 15, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1826
- Henry Felix settled in Rhode Island in 1833
- Francis Felix, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1847
- Gustav Adolph Felix, who landed in New York, NY in 1852
Felix Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Catharina Felix, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Isaac Felix, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Maria Felix, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Philip Felix, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Paul Felix, American politician, Mayor of Kenner, Louisiana, 1916-20
- Otis L. Felix, American politician, Member of Virgin Islands legislature, 1975-78
- Louis E. Felix, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from New York County 9th District, 1921
- John Henry Felix, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Hawaii, 2008
- John A. Felix, American Republican politician, Candidate for Pennsylvania State House of Representatives 9th District, 1980
- Fanette L. Felix, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 2000
- Dennis J. Felix Sr., American politician, Candidate in primary for Mayor of Warren, Michigan, 1995
- David H. H. Felix, American politician, Candidate for Pennsylvania State Senate 6th District, 1934; Candidate for U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania, 1938, 1940
- Albert M. Felix, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Hawaii Territory, 1952
- Allyson Felix (b. 1985), American Olympic track and field athlete who won four gold and two silver at the 2004, 2008, and 2012 games
- Bongioanni, Angelo. Nomi e Cognomi. Saggio di Ricerche Etimologiche e Storiche. Torino: A. Forni, 1979. Print.
- Battilana, Natale, Ed. Genealogie Dello Famiglie Nobili di Genova. Genova: Fratelli Pagano, 1825. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Gheno, Antonio. Contributo alla Bibliografia Genealogica Italiana. Bologna: Forni, 1924. Print.
- Stiens, Robert E. Passenger list Italy to New York 1893 In Italian Genealogist. Torrance, CA: Augustan Society No 3, 1983. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. Rome Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana 56 volumesr. Print.
- Glazier, Ira A. and P. Williams Filby Edition. Italians to America. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. Print.
- Fucilla, Josheph G. Our Italian Surnames. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0806311878).
The Felix Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Felix Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 November 2015 at 10:34.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!