100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Youmans is from the ancient Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. The name was given to a person who was a free landholder.
The surname Youmans was first found in Gloucestershire
where they held a family seat
from very early times, before and after the Norman Conquest
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Youmans family name include Yeoman, Yeomans, Yoemans and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Youmans research. Another 107 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 156 and 1565 are included under the topic Early Youmans History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Youmans Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Investigation of the origins of family names on the North American continent has revealed that early immigrants bearing the name Youmans or a variant listed above: Robert Yeoman settled in Virginia in 1622; George Yeoman settled in Virginia in 1638; Arthur Yeomans settled in Barbados in 1634; Richard Yeoman settled in New England in 1718.
- George W. Youmans, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1892
- Frank Youmans, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arkansas, 1936
- F. W. Youmans, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arkansas, 1932, 1936
- F. A. Youmans, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Arkansas 4th District, 1902
- E. S. Youmans, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 11th District, 1863-64
- Clarion A. Youmans, American Republican politician, Member of Wisconsin State Senate, 1895-97
- Henry A. Youmans, American Republican politician, Member of Wisconsin State Assembly, 1861
- Henry Melville Youmans (1832-1920), American Democrat politician, Mayor of East Saginaw, Michigan, 1886-88; U.S. Representative from Michigan 8th District, 1891-93; Defeated, 1892, 1902
- Laurel E. Youmans, American Republican politician, Member of Wisconsin State Assembly, 1911
- Leroy Franklin Youmans (b. 1834), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Carolina, 1884; U.S. Attorney for South Carolina, 1885-89
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
The Youmans Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Youmans Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 November 2015 at 09:18.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!