on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Woodcock was first found in Buckinghamshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times. Their ancient Anglo/Saxon name was Wudu-coc.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Woodcock, Woodcocke, Woodkooke, Woodcott, Wudcock and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Woodcock research. Another 169 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1850, 1603 and 1646 are included under the topic Early Woodcock History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 23 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Woodcock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Woodcock family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 61 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Woodcock Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Woodcock settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1630
- John Woodcock settled in Boston in 1635
- Joshua Woodcock settled in Bermuda in 1635
- Josua Woodcock, aged 11, landed in Bermuda in 1635
- George Woodcock settled in Virginia in 1636
Woodcock Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Woodcock, who landed in Virginia in 1718
- Robert Woodcock, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1727
- Job Woodcock, who arrived in New England in 1761
Woodcock Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Woodcock, aged 38, arrived in Massachusetts in 1812
- Frederick Woodcock, who landed in Arkansas in 1882
Woodcock Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ernest E Woodcock, who arrived in Arkansas in 1900
Woodcock Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Woodcock, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Elizabeth Woodcock, English convict from Warwick, who was transported aboard the "Angelina" on April 25, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Sarah Woodcock arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Constitution" in 1851
- George Woodcock, English Convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Aboukir" on December 24, 1851, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- George Woodcock, aged 32, a farm labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Caucasian"
Woodcock Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Woodcock arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Morning Star" in 1861
- William Woodcock arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Morning Star" in 1861
- Alfred Woodcock arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cairngorm" in 1863
- Jane Woodcock arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cairngorm" in 1863
- Henry Woodcock arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rob Roy" in 1865
- Miss Sarah Emma Woodcock (d. 1915), American 2nd Class passenger from Fall River, Massachusetts, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- John Woodcock (1954-1998), American NFL football player
- John A. Woodcock Jr. (b. 1950), United States federal judge
- Leonard Freel Woodcock (1911-2001), President of the United Auto Workers (UAW)
- Owen Preston "O.P." Woodcock (b. 1983), American builder, best known for his work with Marsh & Saxelbye
- Thomas Woodcock (1888-1918), English soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Jo Woodcock (b. 1988), English television, film and stage actress
- Bruce Woodcock (1921-1997), English heavyweight boxer, British and Empire heavyweight champion (1945 to 1950)
- John Woodcock (1603-1646), English Franciscan martyr
- Wilf Woodcock (1892-1966), English footballer
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Woodcock Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Woodcock Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 November 2014 at 09:43.
on orders of $85 or more