Wiswall History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Wiswall is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon origin and comes from the family once having lived in the settlement of Haswell in Hertfordshire. The surname Wiswall may have also been applied to someone who lived by a spring in a grove of hazel trees.
Early Origins of the Wiswall family
The surname Wiswall was first found in Durham where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Wiswall family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wiswall research. Another 102 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1190, 1296, 1601, 1683, 1637 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Wiswall History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wiswall Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Wiswall family name include Haswell, Hasswell, Hastwell and others.
Early Notables of the Wiswall family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wiswall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wiswall migration to the United States +
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Wiswall surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Wiswall Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Wiswall, who landed in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1636 
- Ichabod Wiswall, who landed in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1644 
Wiswall Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J Wiswall, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1822 
Contemporary Notables of the name Wiswall (post 1700) +
- R. D. Wiswall, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Washington, 1920 
- Oliver Wiswall, American politician, Mayor of Hudson, New York, 1827-28; Member of New York State Assembly from Columbia County, 1830 
- Leon E. Wiswall, American Republican politician, Member of New Hampshire State House of Representatives from Marlborough; Elected 1938 
- Frank L. Wiswall, American Republican politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Albany County 3rd District, 1920; Member of New York State Senate 30th District, 1921-22 
- A. C. Wiswall, American politician, Member of North Carolina State House of Representatives from Lincoln County, 1868-69 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html