100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Whitson family come from? What is the Scottish Whitson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whitson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whitson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whiston, Wiston, Whitson and others.
First found in Lanarkshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat from ancient times in the reign of King Malcolm IV in 1153, in the village of Wicestun. Today Cape Whitson is a headland on the south coast of Laurie Island, the easternmost and second largest of the South Orkney Islands of Antarctica; it supports a large breeding colony of about 13,000 pairs of Chinstrap Penguins.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitson research. Another 195 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1100, 1260, 1292, 1300 and 1358 are included under the topic Early Whitson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Whitson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Whitson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Whitson, who arrived in Virginia in 1654
- Ann Whitson, who landed in Virginia in 1654
Whitson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ephraim Whitson, aged 26, arrived in New York in 1812
- Ephraim Whitson, who arrived in New York in 1812 at the age of 26
Whitson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Whitson, aged 35, who landed in America from Blakeney, Gloucestershire, in 1905
- John Whitson, aged 27, who landed in America from Selkirk, Scotland, in 1905
- Beatrice Whitson, aged 18, who emigrated to America from Small Heath, in 1906
- Georges Whitson, aged 25, who landed in America from Walkends, England, in 1907
- Helen Whitson, aged 25, who settled in America from Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1907
Whitson Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Agnes Whitson, aged 35, who settled in Toronto, Canada, in 1909
Whitson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- A. Whitson arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1878
- Peggy Annette Whitson PH.D. (b. 1960), American biochemistry researcher, NASA Astronaut with over a year in space
- Eddie Lee "Ed" Whitson (b. 1955), American former Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 1977 to 1991
- Beth Slater Whitson (1879-1930), American lyricist, best remembered for the songs "Meet Me Tonight in Dreamland" (1909) and "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" (1910)
- Richard Shay Whitson (b. 1986), American professional mixed martial arts fighter
- Frank Whitson (1877-1946), American film actor who appeared in 66 films between 1915 and 1937
- Edward Whitson (1852-1910), United States federal judge who was nominated by President Theodore Roosevelt
- Susan Dryden Whitson, American press secretary to First Lady Laura Bush
- Karsten E. Whitson (b. 1991), American professional baseball pitcher for the Boston Red Sox
- Elizabeth Whitson, American actress, known for Get the Girl (2015), Awkward (2011) and Pretty Little Liars (2010)
- Stephanie Grace Whitson (b. 1952), American novelist
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
The Whitson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 June 2015 at 12:41.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!