100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The surname Whitson was first found in Lanarkshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland
, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire
, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat
from ancient times in the reign of King Malcolm IV in 1153, in the village of Wicestun. Today Cape Whitson is a headland on the south coast of Laurie Island, the easternmost and second largest of the South Orkney
Islands of Antarctica; it supports a large breeding colony of about 13,000 pairs of Chinstrap Penguins.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whiston, Wiston, Whitson and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitson research. Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1100, 1260, 1292, 1300 and 1358 are included under the topic Early Whitson History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Whitson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Whitson family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Whitson, who arrived in Virginia in 1654
- Ann Whitson, who landed in Virginia in 1654
Whitson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ephraim Whitson, aged 26, arrived in New York in 1812
- Ephraim Whitson, who arrived in New York in 1812 at the age of 26
Whitson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Whitson, aged 35, who landed in America from Blakeney, Gloucestershire, in 1905
- John Whitson, aged 27, who landed in America from Selkirk, Scotland, in 1905
- Beatrice Whitson, aged 18, who emigrated to America from Small Heath, in 1906
- Georges Whitson, aged 25, who landed in America from Walkends, England, in 1907
- Helen Whitson, aged 25, who settled in America from Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1907
Whitson Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Agnes Whitson, aged 35, who settled in Toronto, Canada, in 1909
Whitson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- A. Whitson arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1878
- Michelle Elaine Whitson, American former model from Kansas, 2nd runner-up to Miss America 1980
- Edmund Stuart Whitson Jr. (b. 1941), American former politician, Member of the Florida House of Representatives (1967-1971)
- Stephanie Grace Whitson (b. 1952), American novelist
- Elizabeth Whitson, American actress, known for Get the Girl (2015), Awkward (2011) and Pretty Little Liars (2010)
- Karsten E. Whitson (b. 1991), American professional baseball pitcher for the Boston Red Sox
- Susan Dryden Whitson, American press secretary to First Lady Laura Bush
- Edward Whitson (1852-1910), United States federal judge who was nominated by President Theodore Roosevelt
- Frank Whitson (1877-1946), American film actor who appeared in 66 films between 1915 and 1937
- Richard Shay Whitson (b. 1986), American professional mixed martial arts fighter
- Beth Slater Whitson (1879-1930), American lyricist, best remembered for the songs "Meet Me Tonight in Dreamland" (1909) and "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" (1910)
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Whitson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 March 2016 at 14:29.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!