100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Whitefield was first found in Northumberland at Whitfield, a parish, in the union of Haltwhistle, W. division of Tindale ward where "this place was for six centuries the property of the Whitfield family, to whom the Countess Ada, widow of Henry, Earl of Huntingdon, and mother of William the Lion, King of Scotland, made a grant of it in fee, with the exception of some lands to be held under the convent of Hexham; shortly after which, the family had a grant from that establishment of nearly all Whitfield."  Due to the literal translation of the surname to "dweller by the white field,"  there are many other place name in both common spellings, Whitefield and Whitfield; too many to list here. The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 list: Margery de Wytefled in Oxfordshire; and Peter de Whytefled in Norfolk. 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whytefield, Whitfield, Whitefield, Whitefeild and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitefield research. Another 237 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1650, 1371, 1384, 1378, 1401, 1378 and 1401 are included under the topic Early Whitefield History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 53 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whitefield Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Whitefield family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 45 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitefield Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Gilbert Whitefield, who landed in Virginia in 1634
- John Whitefield, who arrived in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1634
- Richard Whitefield settled in Virginia in 1635
- Fasey Whitefield, who arrived in Maryland in 1672
- Richard Whitefield, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1683
Whitefield Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Robert Whitefield, aged 29, a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Medina"
- Edwin Whitefield (1816-1892), English-born American landscape artist
- William Whitefield, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 2008
- Donald D. Whitefield, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 8th District, 1974
- Carolyn Whitefield, American Republican politician, Chair of Miller County Republican Party, 2003
- Billie V. Whitefield, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Texas, 1992
- George Whitefield (1714-1770), English evangelist who helped spread the Great Awakening in Britain, and the American colonies
- Patrick Whitefield (1949-2015), born Patrick R. Vickers, a British permaculture teacher, designer, author
- Karen Whitefield (b. 1970), Scottish Labour politician, Member of the Scottish Parliament for Airdrie and Shotts (1999-2011)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
The Whitefield Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitefield Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 January 2016 at 13:50.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!