100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Weller family come from? What is the English Weller family crest and coat of arms? When did the Weller family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Weller family history?The Weller surname is derived from the Old English word "well," meaning a well. As a name, it is thought to have been topographic, originally used for someone who lived near a well or a spring.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weller, Wellar, Weler, Wellere and others.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weller research. Another 287 words (20 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weller History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Weller Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weller Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Weller, who settled in New England in 1679
- Henry Weller, who came to America in 1679
- Margrett Weller, aged 22, arrived in Maryland in 1684
Weller Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hieronymus Weller, who landed in New York, NY in 1709
- Kasper Weller, who landed in New York in 1709
- Hieronymus Weller, his wife Anna Juliana and their two children, who settled in New York in 1709
- Hans Martin Weller, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1727
- Henrich Weller, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1727
Weller Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Humphry Weller, on record as a "British Alien" in New York in 1812
- Humphry Weller, aged 31, arrived in New York in 1812
- Enoch Weller, who arrived in America in 1827
- Thomas Weller, who landed in New York in 1831
- Jonas Weller, who arrived in America in 1835
Weller Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- William Weller, who arrived in Canada in 1840
Weller Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Weller, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on September 21, 1826, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- George Weller landed in Sydney, Australia in 1832
- John Weller arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Andromache" in 1850
Weller Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Alfred W. Weller, aged 18, a baker, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Avalanche" in 1875
- Charles Weller, aged 21, a carpenter, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Harriet Weller, aged 31, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Royal Hurlburt Weller (1881-1929), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from New York 21st District, 1923-29; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1928
- Worth Hamilton Weller (1913-1931), American herpetologist who discovered Weller's Salamander
- Mary Louise Weller (b. 1978), American actress, best known for her role in the 1978 film Animal House
- Caroline S. Weller, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 20th District, 1966
- Andrew S. Weller, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Ulster County 3rd District, 1865-66
- A. N. Weller, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1888
- A. C. Weller, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Cabell County, 1936
- Charles L. Weller, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at San Francisco, California, 1854-61
- Charles S. Weller, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 13th District, 1915-16
- David Weller, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Roxbury, 1834
- Many Descendants From Phillipp Weller (1615-1671/85) by Margaret Mighell Weller.
- The Weller Family by Ralph H. Weller.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Weller Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Weller Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 October 2015 at 10:13.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!