on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Weller family come from? What is the English Weller family crest and coat of arms? When did the Weller family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Weller family history?The Weller surname is derived from the Old English word "well," meaning a well. As a name, it is thought to have been topographic, originally used for someone who lived near a well or a spring.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Weller, Wellar, Weler, Wellere and others.
First found in Kent where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weller research. Another 287 words(20 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weller History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Weller Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weller Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Weller, who settled in New England in 1679
- Henry Weller, who came to America in 1679
- Margrett Weller, aged 22, arrived in Maryland in 1684
Weller Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hieronymus Weller, who landed in New York, NY in 1709
- Kasper Weller, who landed in New York in 1709
- Hieronymus Weller, his wife Anna Juliana and their two children, who settled in New York in 1709
- Hans Martin Weller, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1727
- Henrich Weller, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1727
Weller Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Humphry Weller, on record as a "British Alien" in New York in 1812
- Humphry Weller, aged 31, arrived in New York in 1812
- Enoch Weller, who arrived in America in 1827
- Thomas Weller, who landed in New York in 1831
- Jonas Weller, who arrived in America in 1835
Weller Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- William Weller, who arrived in Canada in 1840
Weller Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Weller, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on September 21, 1826, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- George Weller landed in Sydney, Australia in 1832
- John Weller arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Andromache" in 1850
Weller Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Alfred W. Weller, aged 18, a baker, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Avalanche" in 1875
- Charles Weller, aged 21, a carpenter, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Harriet Weller, aged 31, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- John Weller (1812-1875), American politician, Governor of California (1858-60)
- George Anthony Weller (1907-2002), American journalist, recipient of the Pulitzer Prize in 1943
- Thomas Huckle Weller (b. 1915), American microbiologist, shared 1954 Nobel Prize for work on the cultivation of the polio virus
- Peter Weller (b. 1947), American film actor, and Academy Award nominated director, best known for his leading role in the first two RoboCop films
- Gerald C Weller (b. 1957), American politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1995-)
- Mary Louise Weller (b. 1978), American actress, best known for her role in the 1978 film Animal House
- Worth Hamilton Weller (1913-1931), American herpetologist who discovered Weller's Salamander
- Paul Weller (b. 1958), English pop-rock musician and songwriter
- Keith Weller (1946-2004), English footballer
- Mr. William Clifford Weller, aged 30, English Able Seaman from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping on life boat 7
- Many Descendants From Phillipp Weller (1615-1671/85) by Margaret Mighell Weller.
- The Weller Family by Ralph H. Weller.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Weller Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Weller Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 November 2014 at 11:17.
on orders of $85 or more