Weddle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Weddle comes from the place named Wedale, in the parish of Stow, near Edinburgh. As such it is a habitation name, a category of surnames derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Weddle family
The surname Weddle was first found in Midlothian, where they had held territories at Wedale in the parish of Stow from ancient times.
Early History of the Weddle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weddle research. Another 140 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1296, 1296, 1327, 1372, 1600, 1583, 1642, 1617, 1621 and are included under the topic Early Weddle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Weddle Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waddel, Waddell, Waddle, Weddel, Weddell, Weddle and many more.
Early Notables of the Weddle family (pre 1700)
Notable among the family at this time was John Weddell (1583-1642), sea-captain who in 1617 was master's mate of the East India Company's ship Dragon. "In April 1621 he sailed from England as captain of the Jonas, with three other...
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weddle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Weddle family to Ireland
Some of the Weddle family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Weddle migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weddle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Valentine Weddle, who arrived in Maryland in 1848 
Contemporary Notables of the name Weddle (post 1700) +
- Eric Steven Weddle (b. 1985), American NFL football safety for the San Diego Chargers
- James D. Weddle, American managing partner of Edward Jones Investments
- Christopher James "Chris" Weddle (b. 1983), American bodhrán player and instructor
- David Weddle, American two-time Hugo Award nominated television producer and writer, known for his work on Battlestar Galactica (2004), Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (2012) and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2000)
- L. Garrett Weddle, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Virginia 9th District, 1992 
- James G. Weddle, American Republican politician, Candidate for Kentucky State Attorney General, 1983 
- Daniel Weddle, American politician, Mayor of Rockville, Maryland, 1952-54 
- Thomas Weddle (1817-1853), English mathematician who developed the Weddle surface
- John Robson "Jack" Weddle (1905-1979), former English Portsmouth centre forward
Historic Events for the Weddle family +
- Mr. William Weddle (b. 1920), English Able Seaman serving for the Royal Navy from Billingham, County Durham, England, who sailed into battle and died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Weddle +
- 4944 "Kinfolks, Weddle, Sullivan, Gable, and Roach" by Elizabeth Weddle Mueting.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ H.M.S. Hood Association-Battle Cruiser Hood: Crew Information - H.M.S. Hood Rolls of Honour, Men Lost in the Sinking of H.M.S. Hood, 24th May 1941. (Retrieved 2016, July 15) . Retrieved from http://www.hmshood.com/crew/memorial/roh_24may41.htm