Waterston History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Waterston family
The surname Waterston was first found in Ross-shire, Scotland where they held the lands of Waterson in the parish of Fern (Fearn) in that shire from very ancient times. Wether Hill is located in Dumfries and Galloway, near New Galloway, Scotland; near Perth and near Penrith, England.
Early History of the Waterston family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waterston research. Another 73 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1359, 1495, 1594, 1929, 1585, 1634, 1656 and are included under the topic Early Waterston History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Waterston Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waterson, Watersone, Waterston, Watherston and many more.
Early Notables of the Waterston family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Edward Waterson (died 1594), English Catholic priest and martyr, beatified in 1929; Simon Waterson (1585-1634) a London prominent publisher of Edmund...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Waterston Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Waterston family to Ireland
Some of the Waterston family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Waterston migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Waterston Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Waterston, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1803 
- John Waterston, who settled in San Francisco, ca. in 1850
- John Waterston, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
Contemporary Notables of the name Waterston (post 1700) +
- Robert "Bob" Waterston MD, American biologist, best known for his work on the Human Genome Project
- Darren Waterston (b. 1965), American artist
- Samuel Atkinson "Sam" Waterston (b. 1940), American Academy Award-nominated, Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Award-winning actor, best known for his portrayal of Jack McCoy on the NBC television series Law & Order
- David Waterston, New Zealand rugby union coach
- George Waterston OBE FRSE (1911-1980), Scottish ornithologist and conservationist, born in Edinburgh
- John James Waterston (1811-1883), Scottish physicist, pioneer of the kinetic theory of gases
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)