Origins Available: English
The name Walies has a long Anglo-Saxon
heritage. The name comes from when a family lived near a stone-built wall. Walies is a local
surname, which belongs to the category of hereditary surnames
. Other types of local surnames include topographic
surnames, which could be given to a person who lived beside any physical feature, such as a hill, stream, church or type of tree. Habitation
names form the other broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. They were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties. The surname Walies referred to a person who lived beside a large stone wall, which was used either for the purpose of fortification, or to keep back the encroachment of the sea. Members of the Walies family were established in Gloucestershire
prior to the Norman Conquest
, in 1066. By the time of the Conquest, they were major landholders in that county.
Early Origins of the Walies family
The surname Walies was first found in Gloucestershire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times and appeared as holders of lands in the Domesday Book
compiled in 1086 by King William of England
. The name was from the Anglo Saxon Wal, meaning a stranger. Wales
is a parish, in the union of Worksop, S. division of the wapentake
of Strafforth and Tickhill in the West Riding of Yorkshire
. "This parish, in the Domesday Survey
called Walise, belonged to Morcar, Earl of Northumberland
, in the reign of Edward the Confessor." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Early History of the Walies family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Walies research.Another 201 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1210, 1303, 1352, 1620, 1679, 1647, 1728, 1588, 1666, 1760, 1789 and are included under the topic Early Walies History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Walies Spelling Variations
in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Walies have been found, including Wall, Walls, Wale, Walles and others.
Early Notables of the Walies family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir Thomas Wale (1303-1352), an English soldier and co-founder of the Knight of the Garter; William de Wall, the knight who accompanied Strongbow; Saint John Wall, O.F.M., (1620-1679), an English Catholic Franciscan friar, apprehended under suspicion of being a party to the Titus Oates plot... Another 60 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Walies Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Walies family to Ireland
Some of the Walies family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 147 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Walies family to the New World and Oceana
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England
. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England
, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Walies, or a variant listed above: John Walls, a servant, who settled in Argentia, Newfoundland in 1773; Phillip Walls was a fisherman of Petty Harbour, Newfoundland in 1745; William Walls settled in Annapolis Maryland in 1758.