The name Waleys arrived in England
after the Norman Conquest
of 1066. The Waleys family lived in Lancashire
, in the township of Whalley
while Whaley is a small village in Derbyshire.
Early Origins of the Waleys family
The surname Waleys was first found in Lancashire
where they were descended from Wyamarus Whalley, who accompanied William the Conqueror, from Normandy
, and was the Standard Bearer at the Battle of Hastings. The Conqueror gave him the lordship of Whalley in the county of Lancaster. In 1296 an Abbot and about 20 monks arrived in Whalley to create a church that would become Whalley Abbey. One of the census records of the name was Robert de Whalley who died before 1193 and was listed as the rector of Rochdale.
The church of St. Michael in Aughton, Lancashire would be an important ecclesiastical stronghold for the family. For it was there that a long tradition of rectors in the family was established. The first was Henry le Waleys who was rector in 1292, followed by Thomas le Waleys in 1303, Gilbert le Waleys in 1317, John le Waleys in 1318 and Henry (son of Richard) le Waleys in 1337. CITATION[CLOSE]
'Townships: Scarisbrick', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1907), pp. 265-276. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp265-276 [accessed 21 January 2017]. The first of the tenants of Litherland, Augton "was Richard le Waleys, who also held a third of the manor of Aughton. In 1212 it was found that he was holding a ploughland in Litherland for 10s. He died in 1221, and his son and heir Richard agreed to pay 40s. -four times the annual rent-as his relief, and was placed in possession. After the death of Richard, a Robert le Waleys appears to have been the principal member of the family; (fn. 10) possibly he was a brother and held some part of the manor, acting as guardian to John le Waleys of Litherland, the son and heir of Richard, who lived on till the beginning of the next century, and was after his death said to have been a 'centenarian.' " CITATION[CLOSE]
'Townships: Scarisbrick', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1907), pp. 265-276. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp265-276 [accessed 21 January 2017].
Early History of the Waleys family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waleys research.Another 236 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1607, 1675, 1660, 1686, 1719, 1718 and 1719 are included under the topic Early Waleys History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Waleys Spelling Variations
Anglo-Norman names tend to be marked by an enormous number of spelling variations
. This is largely due to the fact that Old and Middle English lacked any spelling rules when Norman French was introduced in the 11th century. The languages of the English courts at that time were French and Latin. These various languages mixed quite freely in the evolving social milieu. The final element of this mix is that medieval scribes spelled words according to their sounds rather than any definite rules, so a name was often spelled in as many different ways as the number of documents it appeared in. The name was spelled Whalley, Whaley, Walley, Whally and others.
Early Notables of the Waleys family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was General Edward Whalley (c.
1607-c. 1675), an English military leader during the English Civil War, one of the regicides who signed the death warrant of King Charles I of England
. At the Restoration, Whalley, with his son-in-law, General William Goffe, escaped to North... Another 124 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Waleys Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Waleys family to Ireland
Some of the Waleys family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 84 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Waleys family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Waleys Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Mr. Charles Waleys, aged 25 who was emigrating through Grosse Isle Quarantine Station, Quebec aboard the ship "Dominica" departing 1st May 1847 from Cork, Ireland; the ship arrived on 14th June 1847 but he died on board CITATION[CLOSE]
Charbonneau, André, and Doris Drolet-Dubé. A Register of Deceased Persons at Sea and on Grosse Île in 1847. The Minister of Canadian Heritage, 1997. ISBN: 0-660-198/1-1997E (p. 98)
The Waleys Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Mirabile in profundis
Motto Translation: Wonderful in the Depths.