100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Waddle family come from? What is the Scottish Waddle family crest and coat of arms? When did the Waddle family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Waddle family history?The surname Waddle comes from the place named Wedale, in the parish of Stow, near Edinburgh. As such it is a habitation name, a category of surnames derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waddel, Waddell, Waddle, Weddel, Weddell, Weddle and many more.
First found in Midlothian, where they had held territories at Wedale in the parish of Stow from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waddle research. Another 378 words (27 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1327, 1372, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Waddle History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Waddle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Waddle family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 85 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Waddle Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Waddle, who arrived in Maryland in 1654
- William Waddle, who arrived in Maryland in 1662
- Thomas Waddle, who landed in Maryland in 1670
Waddle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nicholas Waddle, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1828
- John Waddle, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1842
Waddle Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Waddle, aged 21, a laburer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "John & Mary" from Belfast
- Elizabeth Waddle, aged 18, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "John & Mary" from Belfast
Waddle Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Waddle, aged 28, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Medina"
- Alexander Waddle, aged 22, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Medina"
- G. Thomas Waddle (b. 1967), former American NFL football wide receiver
- Bryan Waddle (b. 1944), New Zealand-born sports broadcaster
- Alan Waddle (b. 1954), former English football striker
- Christopher Roland "Chris" Waddle (b. 1960), English former footballer
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Waddle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Waddle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 July 2014 at 14:37.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!