on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Scottish Waddle family come from? What is the Scottish Waddle family crest and coat of arms? When did the Waddle family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Waddle family history?The surname Waddle comes from the place named Wedale, in the parish of Stow, near Edinburgh. As such it is a habitation name, a category of surnames derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waddel, Waddell, Waddle, Weddel, Weddell, Weddle and many more.
First found in Midlothian, where they had held territories at Wedale in the parish of Stow from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waddle research. Another 378 words (27 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1327, 1372, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Waddle History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Waddle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Waddle family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 85 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Waddle Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Waddle, who arrived in Maryland in 1654
- William Waddle, who arrived in Maryland in 1662
- Thomas Waddle, who landed in Maryland in 1670
Waddle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nicholas Waddle, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1828
- John Waddle, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1842
Waddle Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Waddle, aged 21, a laburer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "John & Mary" from Belfast
- Elizabeth Waddle, aged 18, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "John & Mary" from Belfast
Waddle Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Waddle, aged 28, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Medina"
- Alexander Waddle, aged 22, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Medina"
- Gregory Thomas Waddle (b. 1967), former American NFL football player, current co-host of "Waddle and Silvy" on ESPN 1000
- Christopher Roland "Chris" Waddle (b. 1960), English former professional footballer, manager and current Football commentator, member of the England U21 and England National Teams (1984-1991)
- Bryan Waddle (b. 1948), New Zealand-born sports broadcaster, "The voice of New Zealand cricket"
- Alan Waddle (b. 1954), former English footballer who played from 1971 to 1993
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
The Waddle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Waddle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 January 2016 at 08:32.
on orders of $85 or more