on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Waddle family come from? What is the Scottish Waddle family crest and coat of arms? When did the Waddle family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Waddle family history?The surname Waddle comes from the place named Wedale, in the parish of Stow, near Edinburgh. As such it is a habitation name, a category of surnames derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waddel, Waddell, Waddle, Weddel, Weddell, Weddle and many more.
First found in Midlothian, where they had held territories at Wedale in the parish of Stow from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waddle research. Another 378 words (27 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1327, 1372, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Waddle History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Waddle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Waddle family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 85 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Waddle Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- George Waddle, who arrived in Maryland in 1654
- William Waddle, who arrived in Maryland in 1662
- Thomas Waddle, who landed in Maryland in 1670
Waddle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nicholas Waddle, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1828
- John Waddle, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1842
Waddle Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Waddle, aged 21, a laburer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "John & Mary" from Belfast
- Elizabeth Waddle, aged 18, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "John & Mary" from Belfast
Waddle Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Waddle, aged 28, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Medina"
- Alexander Waddle, aged 22, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Medina"
- G. Thomas Waddle (b. 1967), former American NFL football wide receiver
- Bryan Waddle (b. 1944), New Zealand-born sports broadcaster
- Alan Waddle (b. 1954), former English football striker
- Christopher Roland "Chris" Waddle (b. 1960), English former footballer
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Waddle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Waddle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 October 2015 at 17:22.
on orders of $85 or more