Vokey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Vokey family
The surname Vokey was first found in Essex where they held a family seat from very ancient times. Following the pattern of many Saxon families the family moved north to Scotland about the year 1200, to escape the oppression of the Norman overlords.
Early History of the Vokey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vokey research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1396, 1408, 1438, 1615 and 1438 are included under the topic Early Vokey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vokey Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Vokey were recorded, including Vocat, Voket, Vokey, Woket, Wokey, Wokete and others.
Early Notables of the Vokey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Vokey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vokey migration to the United States +
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Vokey family emigrate to North America:
Vokey Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Vokey, who settled in Western Bay in 1783
Vokey migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vokey Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- William Vokey from Jersey settled in Spaniards Bay, Newfoundland, in 1775 
- Philip Vokey in Port de Grave, Newfoundland in 1787 
Vokey Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Nathaniel Vokey was a fisherman in Delby's Cove, Newfoundland in 1856 
Contemporary Notables of the name Vokey (post 1700) +
- Bob Vokey (b. 1940), Newfoundland-born, American golf club craftsman, creator and eponym of the Vokey Design clubs by Titleist
- Dan Vokey, American guitarist for the ban The Chariot
- Sam Vokey, American Color realism artist
- Colby Vokey (b. 1965), American lawyer and former officer in the United States Marine Corps
- Andrew Vokey, Newfoundland actor, known for his work on Lies (2011), Random Passage (2002) and Behind the Red Door (2003)
- Josh Vokey, Newfoundland actor from Gander, best known for his role in Orphan Black
- Scott Vokey, Newfoundland Green party political candidate in the 2004 Canadian federal election for St. John's North
Related Stories +
- ^ Seary E.R., Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland, Montreal: McGill's-Queen's Universtity Press 1998 ISBN 0-7735-1782-0