on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch
The surname Tye was first found in Nottingham
where they were known as the Barons Tyes and even before the Conquest were a family great significance in that shire and in the county of Rutland. However, one of the first records of the name was found much further to the south at Mousehole in Cornwall
. " This place, which is also called Port Enys, is situated on the western shore of Mount's bay in the English Channel; and though at present only a large fishing-village, was formerly of considerable importance. In 1293, Henry de Tyes obtained for it the grant of a market on Tuesday, to which was afterwards added a fair on the festival of St. Barnabas." 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tye, Tee, Tyes, Tigh and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tye research. Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1299, 1313, 1321, 1342, 1350, 1324, 1505, 1572, 1620 and 1655 are included under the topic Early Tye History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 103 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tye Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Tye family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 73 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tye Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Tye settled in Virginia in 1642
- Richard Tye, who arrived in Virginia in 1642
- Mary Tye, who landed in Virginia in 1661
- Margtt Tye, who arrived in Virginia in 1663
- Suan Tye, who landed in Virginia in 1663
Tye Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Nicholas Tye settled in Philadelphia in 1738
- Nicholas Tye, aged 24, landed in Pennsylvania in 1738
Tye Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Tye, aged 25, arrived in St Louis, Missouri in 1839
- Jane Tye, who came to New York in 1861
Tye Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- George A. Tye, who came to Ontario in 1871
- A. William Tye, who came to Ontario in 1871
- Anna Tye, who came to Ontario in 1871
- Charles Tye, who arrived in Toronto in 1871
- Daniel Tye, who came to Ontario in 1871
- Joe Tye, American businessman, CEO of Values Coach Inc
- Larry Tye, American non-fiction author and journalist, best known for his biography Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend
- Michael Tye, American philosopher at the University of Texas
- Colonel Tye (1753-1780), African-American slave, Loyalist leader in the American Revolution
- Joe B. Tye, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Iowa, 1948
- Joan Tye, American politician, Delegate to New Mexico State Constitutional Convention, 1969
- H. H. Tye, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Kentucky 11th District, 1898
- George L. Tye, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1936; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Kentucky 9th District, 1936
- B. F. Tye, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kentucky, 1920
- John Tye (1848-1905), English cricketer
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Tye Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tye Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 February 2016 at 10:19.
on orders of $85 or more