Trublefield History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Trublefield is a name of ancient Norman origin. It arrived in England with the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Trublefield family lived in Breconshire, Wales. Their name, however, is a reference to Turberville, Normandy, the family's place of residence prior to the Norman Conquest of England in 1066. 
Coity Castle (Welsh: Castell Coety) in Glamorgan, Wales is a Norman castle built by Sir Payn "the Demon" de Turberville (fl. 1126), one of the legendary Twelve Knights of Glamorgan.
Crickhowell Castle in Crickhowell, Wales (now in ruins) was initially a motte and bailey castle built from around 1121, probably by Robert Turberville, a tenant of the Marcher lord Bernard de Neufmarché.
Early Origins of the Trublefield family
The surname Trublefield was first found in Breconshire where they were granted lands by William the Conqueror for their assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D. One of the first records of the surname was William de Turbeville (William Turbe), (c. 1095-1174), a medieval Bishop of Norwich.
"Within thirty years after the Conquest, Sir Payn de Turbervill accompanied Sir Robert Fitz-Hamon, to the aid of Jestin-ap-Gwrgant, King of Glamorgan, against Rhys, Prince of South Wales. Subsequently, on the death of Rhys, Fitz-Hamon, turning his forces against Jestin, and conquering his whole dominion, divided it amongst his followers. To the share of Sir Payn de Turberville were allotted the castle and lordship of Coyty, and then was established in Wales the great house of Turbevill, seated at Coyty, Tythegstone, Penbline, Lantwitt Major, and Ewenny Abbey. 
"William de Troublevilla occurs in the Norman Exchequer Rolls of 1180-95. Payne de Turbeville witnessed the foundation charter of Neath Abbey, temp. Henry I. Hence the Turbevilles of Glamorgan and Brecon. William de Turbeville was of Dorset 1130; and in 1165 there were branches in York, Norfolk, Dorset, and Wilts." 
An important branch of the family was found at Anstey in Wiltshire in early times. "Here was a commandery of the Knights Hospitallers, founded by Walter de Tuberville in the reign of John." 
Later, Sir Henry de Turberville, Trubbeville, Trubleville (died 1239) was a noted English soldier and seneschal of Gascony from 1226 to 1231. A Devon man, he was reappointed seneschal of Gascony on 23 May 1234 and held the position until November 1238. He was known as strong fighter for the cause. 
According to legend, a ghostly coach crosses the bridge by Woolbridge Manor near Wool, Dorset at night, but only those with Turberville blood can see it. One version claims the coach contains the ghosts of John Turberville of Woolbridge and Anne, the daughter of Thomas Howard, 1st Viscount Howard of Bindon on their elopement.
The d'Urberville family in Thomas Hardy's novel Tess of the d'Urbervilles, was based on the mediaeval Turberville family of Bere Regis, Dorset.
Early History of the Trublefield family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Trublefield research. Another 134 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1549, 1568, 1540, 1597, 1570, 1648, 1681, 1559, 1555, 1612, 1696, 1612, 1678, 1648 and 1681 are included under the topic Early Trublefield History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Trublefield Spelling Variations
Multitudes of spelling variations are a hallmark of Anglo Norman names. Most of these names evolved in the 11th and 12th century, in the time after the Normans introduced their own Norman French language into a country where Old and Middle English had no spelling rules and the languages of the court were French and Latin. To make matters worse, medieval scribes spelled words according to sound, so names frequently appeared differently in the various documents in which they were recorded. The name was spelled Turbeyfield, Turberfield, Turbervile, Turbervill, Turberville and many more.
Early Notables of the Trublefield family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was George Turberville, or Turbervile (1540 -1597), an English poet, second son of Nicholas Turberville of Whitchurch, Dorset, the same Dorset family, the D'Urbervilles of Mr Thomas Hardy's novel, Tess of the d'Urbervilles.
James Turberville or Turbervyle (d. 1570?), was an English divine, Bishop of Exeter, born at Bere in Dorset, the son of John Turbervyle
Edward Turberville or Turbervile (c. 1648-1681), was a Welsh informer, who perjured himself in support of the alleged Popish Plot. James Turberville (or Turbervyle) (died 1559) born at Bere Regis in Dorset was Bishop of Exeter from 1555. He lived...
Another 101 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Trublefield Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Trublefield family
Because of this political and religious unrest within English society, many people decided to immigrate to the colonies. Families left for Ireland, North America, and Australia in enormous numbers, travelling at high cost in extremely inhospitable conditions. The New World in particular was a desirable destination, but the long voyage caused many to arrive sick and starving. Those who made it, though, were welcomed by opportunities far greater than they had known at home in England. Many of these families went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Trublefield or a variant listed above: Mr. Turberville who landed in America in 1670.
Related Stories +
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Burke, John Bernard, The Roll of Battle Abbey. London: Edward Churton, 26, Holles Street, 1848, Print.
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print