100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Townsley was first found in the West Riding of Yorkshire at Tinsley, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Rotherham, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill.  The place name dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 where it was first listed as Tineslauue  and literally meant "mound of a man called Tynni, " from the Old English personal name + "hlaw."  However, the earliest record of the name was not found in Yorkshire but in Surrey where Adam de Tindesle was listed in the Pipe Rolls in 1207. Richard de Tyntesle was listed in Sussex in 1327.  The Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1372 lists Lecia de Tyneslawe. 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tinsley, Tinslie, Tinslay, Townsley, Tinsleigh, Tinsly, Townsleigh, Townslie, Townslay, Tounslie, Tounsleigh, Tounsly, Tounsley, Taunslie, Taunsley, Taunsleigh, Taunsly and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Townsley research. Another 201 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1648 and 1675 are included under the topic Early Townsley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Townsley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Townsley family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 47 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Townsley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Emily Townsley, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1896
- Henry P. Townsley, aged 51, who landed in America, in 1896
Townsley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- H. P. Townsley, aged 56, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Robert Townsley, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Belfast, Ireland, in 1908
- Thomas Townsley, aged 41, who landed in America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1909
- Mary Townsley, aged 20, who landed in America from Belfast, Ireland, in 1909
- Ely Townsley, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1909
- Kevin Townsley, American writer, known for his work on Lie to Me (2009), The Shield (2002) and The Chicago Code (2011)
- Graham Townsley, American award winning producer and director, known for Treasure Seekers: Quest for the Grail (2001), Dawn of the Maya (2003) and Treasure Seekers: Empires of India
- William D. "Bill" Townsley Jr., American actor, known for Dragon Ball Z: Sagas (2005), Dragonball Z: Budokai tenkaichi 3 (2007) and Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (2006)
- Clarence Page Townsley (1855-1926), Superintendent of the United States Military Academy from 1912 to 1916
- Louis Townsley, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Canal Zone, 1924, 1928, 1932
- Mrs. L. Townsley, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Canal Zone, 1932
- Elias P. Townsley, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from St. Lawrence County 1st District, 1862-63
- Channel P. Townsley, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Great Bend, Kansas, 1898-1902
- Calvin Townsley, American politician, Presidential Elector for Vermont, 1844
- C. D. Townsley, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 1928
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Townsley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Townsley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 November 2015 at 04:25.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!