Torpey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Today's Irish surnames are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name Torpey originally appeared in Gaelic as O Tarpaigh, which is derived from the word "tarpach," which means "sturdy."
Early Origins of the Torpey family
The surname Torpey was first found in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, where they were said to be descended from the ancient tribe of Erainn stock into a tribe known as the Corcu Loegde who were pushed into south west Cork area by the Eoganacht. Their neighbors were the O'Sullivans, the O'Mahoneys and the MacArthys.
Early History of the Torpey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Torpey research. Another 67 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1877 is included under the topic Early Torpey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Torpey Spelling Variations
Irish names were rarely spelled consistently in the Middle Ages. Spelling variations of the name Torpey dating from that time include Torpey, Tarpey, O'Tarpey and others.
Early Notables of the Torpey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Torpey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Torpey is the 15,637th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Torpey migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Torpey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Torpey, aged 30, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney" 
- Michael Torpey, aged 22, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney" 
- Bridget Torpey, aged 18, a servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney" 
- Margaret Torpey, aged 13, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney" 
- Mary Torpey, aged 21, a servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Agincourt"
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Torpey (post 1700) +
- Pat Torpey (1953-2018), American hard rock drummer and singer, known as the drummer and backing vocalist of the hard rock band Mr. Big
- Alex M. Torpey (b. 1987), American politician
- Erin Catherine Torpey (b. 1981), American actress and singer, best known for her role on One Life to Live
- Noel Torpey, American Republican politician, Member of Missouri State House of Representatives 29th District; Elected 2012 
- Catherine Torpey, American Democratic Party politician, Member of New York Democratic State Committee, 1942 
- Alx Torpey, American politician, Village President of South Orange, New Jersey; Elected 2011 
- Steve Torpey (b. 1981), English football forward
- Stephen David James "Steve" Torpey (b. 1970), English footballer
Related Stories +