on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Torpey family come from? What is the Irish Torpey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Torpey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Torpey family history?Today's Irish surnames are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name Torpey originally appeared in Gaelic as O Tarpaigh, which is derived from the word "tarpach," which means "sturdy."
Irish names were rarely spelled consistently in the Middle Ages. Spelling variations of the name Torpey dating from that time include Torpey, Tarpey, O'Tarpey and others.
First found in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, where they were said to be descended from the ancient tribe of Erainn stock into a tribe known as the Corcu Loegde who were pushed into south west Cork area by the Eoganacht. Their neighbors were the O'Sullivans, the O'Mahoneys and the MacArthys.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Torpey research. Another 201 words (14 lines of text) covering the year 1877 is included under the topic Early Torpey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Torpey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Torpey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Torpey, aged 30, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney"
- Michael Torpey, aged 22, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney"
- Bridget Torpey, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney"
- Margaret Torpey, aged 13, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney"
- Mary Torpey, aged 21, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Agincourt"
- Alex M. Torpey (b. 1987), American politician
- Erin Catherine Torpey (b. 1981), American actress and singer, best known for her role on One Life to Live
- Noel Torpey, American Republican politician, Member of Missouri State House of Representatives 29th District; Elected 2012
- Catherine Torpey, American Democrat politician, Member of New York Democratic State Committee, 1942
- Alx Torpey, American politician, Village President of South Orange, New Jersey; Elected 2011
- Steve Torpey (b. 1981), English football forward
- Stephen David James "Steve" Torpey (b. 1970), English footballer
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
The Torpey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Torpey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 December 2015 at 16:18.
on orders of $85 or more