on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Torpey family come from? What is the Irish Torpey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Torpey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Torpey family history?Today's Irish surnames are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name Torpey originally appeared in Gaelic as O Tarpaigh, which is derived from the word "tarpach," which means "sturdy."
Irish names were rarely spelled consistently in the Middle Ages. Spelling variations of the name Torpey dating from that time include Torpey, Tarpey, O'Tarpey and others.
First found in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, where they were said to be descended from the ancient tribe of Erainn stock into a tribe known as the Corcu Loegde who were pushed into south west Cork area by the Eoganacht. Their neighbors were the O'Sullivans, the O'Mahoneys and the MacArthys.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Torpey research. Another 201 words(14 lines of text) covering the year 1877 is included under the topic Early Torpey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Torpey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Torpey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Torpey, aged 30, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney"
- Michael Torpey, aged 22, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney"
- Bridget Torpey, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney"
- Margaret Torpey, aged 13, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Rodney"
- Mary Torpey, aged 21, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Agincourt"
- Erin Catherine Torpey (b. 1981), American actress and singer, best known for her role on One Life to Live
- Alex M. Torpey (b. 1987), American politician
- Stephen David James "Steve" Torpey (b. 1970), English footballer
- Steve Torpey (b. 1981), English football forward
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
The Torpey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Torpey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 June 2014 at 12:41.
on orders of $85 or more