Topps History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Topps is an ancient Anglo-Saxon surname that came from the Old Norse name Toppr. Many Scandinavian personal names were left in the British Isles as a legacy of the Viking raids which plagued the coastal regions of Britain from the 8th to 10th centuries, and many of these eventually became Anglo-Saxon surnames.
Early Origins of the Topps family
The surname Topps was first found in Wiltshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
Early History of the Topps family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Topps research. Another 57 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Topps History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Topps Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore,spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Topps has been recorded under many different variations, including Topp, Top, Toppe and others.
Early Notables of the Topps family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Topps Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Topps is the 14,732nd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Topps migration to the United States +
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Topps or a variant listed above:
Topps Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Charles Topps, aged 25, originally from London, who arrived in New York in 1907 aboard the ship "Kronprinz Wilhelm" from Cherbourg, France 
- David Topps, aged 39, who arrived in New York in 1912 aboard the ship "Saint Louis" from Southampton, England 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JXF5-9YS : 6 December 2014), Charles Topps, 18 Apr 1907; citing departure port Cherbourg, France, arrival port New York, ship name Kronprinz Wilhelm, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJY3-QMJ : 6 December 2014), David Topps, 11 Mar 1912; citing departure port Southampton, arrival port New York, ship name Saint Louis, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).