100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Timmons family come from? What is the Irish Timmons family crest and coat of arms? When did the Timmons family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Timmons family history?The ancestors of the Timmons surname in Ireland are thought to have arrived with or in the wake of the 12th century Anglo/ Norman invasion of the Emerald Isle, led by Strongbow. The surname Timmons is ultimately derived from the personal names Timothy or Thomas. The Gaelic form of the surname Timmons is Mac Toimin.
Medieval scribes and church officials spelled the names as they sounded, so a name was often spelled many different ways during the lifetime of a single person. The investigation of the origin of the name Timmons revealed many spelling variations including Timmons, Timmins, O'Timmon, O'Timmons, Tymon, McToimin and many more.
First found in counties Wicklow and Carlow (Irish: Cheatharlach) a small landlocked area located in the province of Leinster in the South East of Ireland, from 1172.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Timmons research. Another 131 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 117 and 1172 are included under the topic Early Timmons History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Timmons Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
During the middle of the 19th century, Irish families often experienced extreme poverty and racial discrimination in their own homeland under English rule. Record numbers died of disease and starvation and many others, deciding against such a fate, boarded ships bound for North America. The largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine of the late 1840s. Unfortunately, many of those Irish that arrived in Canada or the United States still experienced economic and racial discrimination. Although often maligned, these Irish people were essential to the rapid development of these countries because they provided the cheap labor required for the many canals, roads, railways, and other projects required for strong national infrastructures. Eventually the Irish went on to make contributions in the less backbreaking and more intellectual arenas of commerce, education, and the arts. Research early immigration and passenger lists revealed many early immigrants bearing the name Timmons:
Timmons Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Timmons arrived in Pennsylvania in 1773
Timmons Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Timmons, who landed in New York in 1845
- G H Timmons, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Daniel Timmons, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1872
Timmons Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Lawrence Timmons settled in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, in 1822
Timmons Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Margaret Timmons, aged 27, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Douglas" in 1873
- Ony Timmons, aged 24, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Douglas" in 1873
- Osborne Llewellyn "Ozzie" Timmons (b. 1970), American Major League Baseball outfielder who played from 1995 to 2000
- Lawrence Olajuwon Timmons (b. 1986), American football linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Jeffrey Brandon Timmons (b. 1973), American pop singer and producer and founding member of the Grammy-nominated pop group 98 Degrees
- Charles Truman Timmons (1917-1996), American football fullback in the All-America Football Conference for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1946
- Andy Timmons (b. 1963), American guitarist, perhaps best known for his work with the band Danger Danger
- Rick Timmons (b. 1957), American painter, known for his paintings of firefighting, portraits, equine art, southwest art and bar murals
- Robert Henry "Bobby" Timmons (1935-1974), American jazz pianist and composer, a sideman in Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers
- Bob Timmons (1902-2004), American college head coach of men's basketball at the University of Pittsburgh
- Kelly Timmons (b. 1984), American illustrator and comic book artist
- Mark Timmons, Irish Gaelic footballer from County Laois
- The Timms of Waterloo County: A Chronicle by Barbara Timm Arndt.
- Timms-Weir: The Ancestry of William Robert Tims of Augusta, Texas by Janet Scott Weir.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
The Timmons Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Timmons Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 June 2015 at 08:49.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!