Timbrell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
According to family tradition, the Timbrell surname comes from when a member of the Rule family saved the life of King Robert the Bruce at Stirling Park from a charging bull by turning the bull's head. The grateful King decreed that in commemoration of the brave act the new name of the family would be Turnbull, and granted them an area of land then known as Bedrule. Other Etymology suggests that the name comes from the Old English Trumbald, meaning "strongly bold."
Early Origins of the Timbrell family
The surname Timbrell was first found in Roxburghshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Timbrell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Timbrell research. Another 272 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1214, 1249, 1296, 1335, 1447, 1635, 1639, 1716 and are included under the topic Early Timbrell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Timbrell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Turnbull, Turnball, Trimble, Trimbell, Trumbell, Trumbill, Turnbul and many more.
Early Notables of the Timbrell family (pre 1700)
Another 48 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Timbrell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Timbrell family to Ireland
Some of the Timbrell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 74 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Timbrell migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Timbrell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Augustine Timbrell, aged 15, who immigrated to the United States, in 1892
- Alfred Timbrell, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1896
Timbrell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Sam'l. Timbrell, aged 19, who landed in America from Ayr, Scotland, in 1908
- Samuel Timbrell, aged 32, who settled in America, in 1922
- Tamar Timbrell, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1922
Timbrell migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Timbrell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Ellen Timbrell, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Taglioni" in 1844 
Contemporary Notables of the name Timbrell (post 1700) +
- William B. Timbrell, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for New York State Engineer and Surveyor, 1916 
- Henry Timbrell (1806-1849), Irish sculptor, born at Dublin; he died of pleurisy at Rome on 10 April 1849
Related Stories +