Telfair History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Telfair family
The surname Telfair was first found in Huntingdon, where they were descended from Taillefer of Normandy, jester to King William, Duke of Normandy, who asked the Duke for a favor at Hastings. Telfer put his horse to the gallop charging before all the rest to the amazement of the English soldiers. "A name of great antiquity. The exploits of the noble jouglere Taillefer at the battle of Hastings are well-known. William, Count of Angoulesme, in a battle against the Northmen engaged their king Storis, and with one stroke of his sword Durissima, forged by the great Wayland Smith, cut in two his body and cuirass. Hence he acquired the sobriquet of Taillefer, or 'cut iron.' "  He was granted lands in Huntingdon, but was invited by David, Earl of Huntingdon, later to be King of Scotland, to attend him in Scotland and was granted lands in Lanarkshire.
Early History of the Telfair family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Telfair research. Another 73 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1500, 1643 and 1683 are included under the topic Early Telfair History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Telfair Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Telfer, Talfer, Telford, Telpher, Talifero, Tailyefer, Telfair and many more.
Early Notables of the Telfair family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Telfair Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Telfair family to Ireland
Some of the Telfair family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Telfair migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Telfair Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Edward Telfair, who landed in America in 1760 
Telfair Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Edmund and Mathew Telfair, who settled in New York in 1820
Contemporary Notables of the name Telfair (post 1700) +
- Thomas Telfair (1780-1818), American Democratic Party politician, U.S. Representative from Georgia at-large, 1813-17
- Charles Telfair (1777-1833), Irish naturalist, born at Belfast, and settled in Mauritius, where he practised as a surgeon
Related Stories +
- ^ Lower, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)