on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Tansey was first found in Derbyshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, before and after the Norman Conquest
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Tansey include Tansley, Tansleigh and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tansey research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tansey History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Tansey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Tansey or a variant listed above:
Tansey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Alexander Tansey, who arrived in Maryland in 1680
Tansey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Annie Tansey, aged 12, who emigrated to the United States from Preston, England, in 1909
- Brian Tansey, aged 18, who landed in America from Ballymote, Ireland, in 1909
- Andrew Joseph Tansey, aged 28, who emigrated to America from London, England, in 1910
- Annie Tansey, aged 20, who landed in America from Gusteen, Ireland, in 1910
- Bridget Tansey, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Boyle, Ireland, in 1913
Tansey Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mary Tansey, aged 21, a nurse, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Earl Granville" in 1880
- Elizabeth Tansey, aged 18, a housemaid, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Earl Granville" in 1880
- Mark Tansey (b. 1949), American postmodern painter
- Luraine Tansey, American slide librarian who created the first Universal Slide Classification System in 1969
- T. B. Tansey, American politician, Member of Alaska territorial House of Representatives 3rd District, 1915-16
- Joseph J. Tansey, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Maine, 1956
- John P. Tansey, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Puerto Rico, 1940
- Charles M. Tansey, American politician, Delegate to New Mexico State Constitutional Convention, 1969
- Jordan Tansey (b. 1986), English rugby league player
- Gregory James "Greg" Tansey (b. 1988), English footballer
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
The Tansey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tansey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 January 2016 at 09:42.
on orders of $85 or more