Early Origins of the Suttill family
The surname Suttill was first found in Lancashire
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy
, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron
, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England
to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book
Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant
of the lands of Settle held by Norman noble Roger le Poitvan who was recorded in the Domesday Book
census of 1086. Settle is a charming town on the River Ribble.
Early History of the Suttill family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Suttill research.Another 162 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1648 and 1724 are included under the topic Early Suttill History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Suttill Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Suttill family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Suttill Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Suttill family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Suttill Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Suttill, who settled in Philadelphia in 1860