100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Story was first found in Northumberland where they were said to be descended from an ancient line of Viking settlers of knightly degree and with episcopal rank. Roughly translated from the Viking records the name means "dweller by large and rough water". They moved north into Renfrewshire and acquired considerable estates. William Storie was a charter witness in Dundee in 1281. They also became businessmen of Aberdeen by the year 1300.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Storie, Storey, Sturye, De Stury, Storrie, Story and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Story research. Another 291 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1545, 1603, 1642, 1700, 1503, 1468, 1477, 1477, 1503, 1504, 1571, 1664, 1721, 1691 and are included under the topic Early Story History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 151 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Story Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Story family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 143 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Story Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Elias Story, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620
- Ellen Story, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620
- Augustine Story, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1638
- George Story, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1643
- Wm Story, who arrived in Virginia in 1645
Story Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Alexander Story, who landed in New York in 1709
- Hannah Story, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Anne Story, who landed in Virginia in 1717
- Thomas W Story, who arrived in New York in 1797
- Ephram Story, who landed in Mississippi in 1798
Story Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ann Story, aged 16, arrived in New York, NY in 1803
- Ben Story, aged 18, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- Andrew Story, aged 31, arrived in New York, NY in 1805
- Lieut. Story, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1822
- James V Story, who landed in New York in 1826
Story Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Ralph Story, who arrived in Canada in 1816
- Sara Witham Story, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1818
- Rev. George Story from Yorkshire settled as a schoolteacher in Carbonear, Newfoundland in 1872
Story Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Story, English convict from York, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- William Story, aged 19, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Amazon"
- George Story, aged 24, a gardener, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Star Queen"
- John Story, aged 23, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Melbourne"
Story Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Ellen Story, aged 30, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Earl Granville" in 1880
- Ethel Story, aged 9, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Earl Granville" in 1880
- Clara Story, aged 7, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Earl Granville" in 1880
- Catherione Story, aged 5, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Earl Granville" in 1880
- Ralph Story (1920-2006), American television and radio personality
- Nelson Story Sr. (1838-1926), pioneer Montana entrepreneur, cattle rancher, miner and vigilante
- Rick Story (b. 1984), American mixed martial artist
- Timothy Kevin Story (b. 1970), African-American film director
- Laura Story (b. 1978), American Contemporary Christian music singer-songwriter
- William Wetmore Story (1819-1895), American sculptor, art critic, poet and editor
- Joseph Story (1779-1845), American lawyer and jurist who served on the Supreme Court of the United States
- Allyson Story, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Iowa, 2008
- Albert L. Story, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 1956, 1960
- Abbie Story, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 1952
- Some Ancestors and Descendants of Joseph Rudd Jr., 1740-1818 and his Wife, Sarah Story, 1744-1842, of Bennington, Vermont by Dorothy Rudd DuMond.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Story Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Story Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 May 2016 at 12:55.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!