100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Storr was first found in Northumberland
where they were said to be descended from an ancient line of Viking settlers of knightly degree and with episcopal rank. Roughly translated from the Viking records the name means "dweller by large and rough water". They moved north into Renfrewshire
and acquired considerable estates. William Storie was a charter witness in Dundee in 1281. They also became businessmen of Aberdeen by the year 1300.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Storie, Storey, Sturye, De Stury, Storrie, Story and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Storr research. Another 291 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1545, 1603, 1642, 1700, 1503, 1468, 1477, 1477, 1503, 1504, 1571, 1664, 1721, 1691 and are included under the topic Early Storr History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 151 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Storr Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Storr family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 143 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Storr Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anna Marg Storr, aged 48, landed in New York in 1710
- Eliz Catharine Storr, aged 12, arrived in New York in 1710
- Michael Storr, aged 38, landed in New York in 1710
- Georg Adam Storr, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Frederic Storr, who landed in America in 1777-1783
Storr Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Rosa Storr, aged 3, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Storr Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agnes Storr, aged 39, who settled in America from Grittel, Austria, in 1908
- Elizabeth Storr, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Wellington, New Zealand, in 1911
- Sydney Storr, aged 22, who landed in America, in 1918
- Annie K. Storr, aged 49, who landed in America from Market Rasen, England, in 1919
- Franz Storr, aged 25, who landed in America from Konigsbach, Germany, in 1923
Storr Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- H. Storr arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Emu" in 1846
- James Storr arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John Woodall" in 1849
- Robert Storr, American curator, critic and painter
- Lewis Storr, American politician, Mayor of Marshall, Michigan, 1948-52
- Paul Storr (1771-1844), English silversmith, sculptor, and designer in London
- Catherine Storr (1913-2001), English novelist and children's writer, best known for her novel Marianne Dreams
- Anthony Storr (1920-2001), English psychiatrist and author
- Jamie Storr (b. 1975), Canadian NHL ice hockey goaltender
- Gottlieb Conrad Christian Storr (1749-1821), German physician and naturalist
- Glen Milton Storr (1921-1990), Australian ornithologist
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
The Storr Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Storr Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 January 2016 at 13:00.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!