100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Storr family come from? What is the English Storr family crest and coat of arms? When did the Storr family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Storr family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Storie, Storey, Sturye, De Stury, Storrie, Story and many more.
First found in Northumberland where they were said to be descended from an ancient line of Viking settlers of knightly degree and with episcopal rank. Roughly translated from the Viking records the name means "dweller by large and rough water". They moved north into Renfrewshire and acquired considerable estates. William Storie was a charter witness in Dundee in 1281. They also became businessmen of Aberdeen by the year 1300.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Storr research. Another 291 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1545, 1603, 1642, 1700, 1503, 1468, 1477, 1477, 1503, 1504, 1571, 1664, 1721, 1691 and are included under the topic Early Storr History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 151 words(11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Storr Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Storr family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 143 words(10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Storr Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anna Marg Storr, aged 48, landed in New York in 1710
- Eliz Catharine Storr, aged 12, arrived in New York in 1710
- Michael Storr, aged 38, landed in New York in 1710
- Georg Adam Storr, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751
- Frederic Storr, who landed in America in 1777-1783
Storr Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Rosa Storr, aged 3, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Storr Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agnes Storr, aged 39, who settled in America from Grittel, Austria, in 1908
- Elizabeth Storr, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Wellington, New Zealand, in 1911
- Sydney Storr, aged 22, who landed in America, in 1918
- Annie K. Storr, aged 49, who landed in America from Market Rasen, England, in 1919
- Franz Storr, aged 25, who landed in America from Konigsbach, Germany, in 1923
Storr Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- H. Storr arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Emu" in 1846
- James Storr arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John Woodall" in 1849
- Robert Storr, American curator, critic and painter
- Paul Storr (1771-1844), English silversmith, sculptor, and designer in London
- Catherine Storr (1913-2001), English novelist and children's writer, best known for her novel Marianne Dreams
- Anthony Storr (1920-2001), English psychiatrist and author
- Jamie Storr (b. 1975), Canadian NHL ice hockey goaltender
- Gottlieb Conrad Christian Storr (1749-1821), German physician and naturalist
- Glen Milton Storr (1921-1990), Australian ornithologist
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Storr Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Storr Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2013 at 14:48.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!