100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Storey family come from? What is the English Storey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Storey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Storey family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Storie, Storey, Sturye, De Stury, Storrie, Story and many more.
First found in Northumberland where they were said to be descended from an ancient line of Viking settlers of knightly degree and with episcopal rank. Roughly translated from the Viking records the name means "dweller by large and rough water". They moved north into Renfrewshire and acquired considerable estates. William Storie was a charter witness in Dundee in 1281. They also became businessmen of Aberdeen by the year 1300.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Storey research. Another 291 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1545, 1603, 1642, 1700, 1503, 1468, 1477, 1477, 1503, 1504, 1571, 1664, 1721, 1691 and are included under the topic Early Storey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 151 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Storey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Storey family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 143 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Storey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Storey settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1637
- William Storey, aged 23, landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1637
- Jonas Storey, who arrived in Maryland in 1664
- John Storey, who arrived in Maryland in 1668
- Robert Storey, who landed in Maryland in 1674
Storey Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Robert Storey settled in Georgia in 1734
- George Storey, aged 20, landed in Pennsylvania in 1776
- Alexander Storey, who landed in America in 1795
Storey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ann Storey, aged 16, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- Elizabeth Storey, aged 47, arrived in New York, NY in 1803
- Ben Storey, aged 18, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- Benjamin Storey, aged 33, arrived in New York in 1812
- Andrew Storey, aged 33, arrived in New York in 1812
Storey Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Benjn Storey, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
Storey Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Henry Storey, aged 27, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Cupid" in 1834
- William Storey settled in St. John's in 1843
- Robert Storey immigrated to Canada from Ireland in 1867
Storey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Storey, English convict from Lancaster, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 29, 1828, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Joseph Storey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1846
- Charles Storey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1846
Storey Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Leonard Storey landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1843
- Walter Storey arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Annie Wilson" in 1863
- Francis Storey, aged 45, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Dilharree" in 1875
- Sarah Storey, aged 45, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Dilharree" in 1875
- William Storey, aged 20, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Dilharree" in 1875
- Marcus Lorenzo Storey (b. 1982), American soccer forward
- Edward Farris Storey (1829-1860), American settler, eponym of Storey County, Nevada
- Awvee Storey (b. 1977), American professional NBA basketball player
- William Benson Storey Jr. (1857-1940), the fifteenth president of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway
- Mr. Thomas Storey (d. 1912), aged 51, English Third Class passenger from Liverpool, Merseyside who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking and was recovered by CS Mackay-Bennett
- Brett Barry Storey (b. 1977), English footballer
- David Malcolm Storey (b. 1933), English playwright, screenwriter and novelist, winner of the 1963 Somerset Maugham Award and the 1961 John Llewellyn Rhys Prize
- Peter Edwin Storey (b. 1945), former English footballer
- Mr. Storey, British Air Mechanician, who sailed into battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and survived the sinking
- Mr. J Storey, British Able Seaman, who sailed in to battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and survived the sinking
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Storey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Storey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 August 2015 at 14:35.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!