Spurlock History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The history of the Spurlock name began with the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from the baptismal name for the son of Spirling, which was an ancient Old English personal name. After the Norman Conquest, the Old English naming system gradually dissolved. Old English names became less common and were replaced by popular continental European names. The earliest surnames in England were found shortly after the Norman Conquest and are of Norman French rather than native English origins.
Early Origins of the Spurlock family
The surname Spurlock was first found in Hertfordshire where they held a family seat from ancient times, some say long before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Spurlock family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Spurlock research. Another 84 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1834 and 1809 are included under the topic Early Spurlock History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Spurlock Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Spurlock family name include Sparling, Sparlin, Sperling, Spurling, Spearling and others.
Early Notables of the Spurlock family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Spurlock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Spurlock is the 2,626th most popular surname with an estimated 12,435 people with that name. 
Migration of the Spurlock family to Ireland
Some of the Spurlock family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Spurlock migration to the United States +
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Spurlock surname or a spelling variation of the name include :
Spurlock Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William G. Spurlock, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Ophelia Spurlock, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1920
Contemporary Notables of the name Spurlock (post 1700) +
- Pete A. Spurlock, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Logan, West Virginia, 1927-34 (acting, 1927-28) 
- V. S. Spurlock, American Democratic Party politician, Mayor of Hurricane, West Virginia, 1942 
- Luther T. Spurlock, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1980 
- Jim Spurlock, American Libertarian politician 
- James E. Spurlock, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State Senate 5th District, 1986 
- Hurston Spurlock, American politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Wayne County, 1877-78 
- Gail Spurlock, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Texas State Board of Education 12th District, 2012 
- Charles A. Spurlock, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Cabell County, 1944 
- Burwell Spurlock (1790-1879), American politician, Delegate to Virginia secession convention, 1861 
- Delbert L. Spurlock Jr. (b. 1941), United States Assistant Secretary of the Army
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +