Sprackling History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Sprackling family
The surname Sprackling was first found in London where one of the first records of the family appeared in the Latin form of the name as Sprachelingus in the Pipe Rolls of 1130. A few years later in Kent, the family was again listed in in the Pipe Rolls there in 1200 as Sprakelingus. Robertus filius Sprakeling was listed in the early Pipe Rolls of Worcester in 1204. The Pipe Rolls of Norfolk listed Vnspac Spracheling in 1166 and John, Gervase Sprakeling was listed in Worcester in the Pipe Rolls in 1204. 
The name is generally understood to have been derived from the Old English Spracaling, an anglicizing of the Viking word Sprakaleggr, "man with the creaking legs." 
Another source claims the "surname is derived from the name of an ancestor. 'the son of Sparkling'. "  This latter source also lists Robertus Esprakelin in Cornwall, temp. Henry III. (during the reign of King Henry III) and Kirby's Quest lists "Geoffrey Sparkelyng, in Somerset, 1 Edward III,"  (during the first year of Edward III's reign.)
These latter two listings in Somerset and Cornwall in south western England are significant as they may explain how some of the family would many years later emigrate to Newfoundland in the 18th century. There the family was principally found in Brigus. Today Spracklings (or Spracklins) Island is found in Labrador. 
Early History of the Sprackling family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sprackling research. Another 69 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sprackling History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sprackling Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Spracklin, Spracklyn, Spracklyng, Sprackling and others.
Early Notables of the Sprackling family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Sprackling Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sprackling migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sprackling Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Christian Sprackling, who settled in Virginia in 1654
Contemporary Notables of the name Sprackling (post 1700) +
- Rob Sprackling, American Annie Award nominated writer and director, known for Gnomeo & Juliet (2011), Mike Bassett: England Manager (2001) and Rise of the Appliances (2010)
- Simon Sprackling, American International Fantasy Film Award nominated director and producer, known for Funny Man (1994), The Reeds (2010) and Men in the Street (2002)
- William Earl "Bill" Sprackling (1890-1980), American football quarterback, inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1964
Related Stories +
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Dickinson, F.H., Kirby's Quest for Somerset of 16th of Edward the 3rd London: Harrison and Sons, Printers in Ordinary to Her Majesty, St, Martin's Lane, 1889. Print.
- ^ Seary E.R., Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland Montreal: McGill's-Queen's University Press 1998. Print. (ISBN 0-7735-1782-0)