on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Snipes family come from? What is the English Snipes family crest and coat of arms? When did the Snipes family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Snipes family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Snape, Snappe, Snepe, Snapes and others.
First found in Oxfordshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times. Early records reveal Agnes del Snappe in a Huntingdonshire record of 1242; John atte Sneppe in the 1327 Subsidy Rolls of Sussex; and Robert de Snape in the 1355 Feet of Fines of Yorkshire. Later, we found Roger Snape in the 1525 Subsidy Rolls of Sussex. The name is derived from the Old English word "snaep" or the Old Norman word "snap" which means "dweller by the pasture."
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Snipes research. Another 145 words(10 lines of text) covering the years 1683, 1675, 1742 and 1719 are included under the topic Early Snipes History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 115 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Snipes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Snipes Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Nathan Snipes, aged 21, who settled in America, in 1908
- V.L. Snipes, aged 22, who settled in America, in 1909
- Nathan L. Snipes, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1917
- Rene Snipes, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States, in 1920
- B.H. Snipes, aged 24, who emigrated to America, in 1922
- Wesley Trent Snipes (b. 1962), American actor, film producer, and martial artist
- Angelo Snipes (b. 1963), former American football linebacker
- Renaldo Snipes (b. 1956), American boxer and two time Chicago Golden Gloves Champion
- Wyatt Eure Snipes (1896-1941), American Major League Baseball player
- The Descendants & Ancestry of Young Snipes by Earl A. Truett.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Snipes Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Snipes Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 November 2014 at 17:58.
on orders of $85 or more