Snipes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Snipes family
The surname Snipes was first found in Oxfordshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times. Early records reveal Agnes del Snappe in a Huntingdonshire record of 1242; John atte Sneppe in the 1327 Subsidy Rolls of Sussex; and Robert de Snape in the 1355 Feet of Fines of Yorkshire. Later, we found Roger Snape in the 1525 Subsidy Rolls of Sussex. The name is derived from the Old English word "snaep" or the Old Norman word "snap" which means "dweller by the pasture."
Early History of the Snipes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Snipes research. Another 73 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1683, 1675, 1742, 1719, 1576, 1608 and 1575 are included under the topic Early Snipes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Snipes Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Snape, Snappe, Snepe, Snapes and others.
Early Notables of the Snipes family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Richard Snappe of Faller in Oxfordshire; Andrew Snape (the younger), serjeant farrier to Charles II, and author of The Anatomy of an Horse (1683); and his son, Andrew Snape (1675-1742), an English cleric, academic and headmaster, provost of King's College, Cambridge from 1719, he died in Windsor...
Another 54 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Snipes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Snipes is the 3,818th most popular surname with an estimated 7,461 people with that name. 
Snipes migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Snipes Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Nathan Snipes, aged 21, who settled in America, in 1908
- V.L. Snipes, aged 22, who settled in America, in 1909
- Nathan L. Snipes, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1917
- Rene Snipes, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States, in 1920
- B.H. Snipes, aged 24, who immigrated to America, in 1922
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Snipes (post 1700) +
- Wyatt Eure Snipes (1896-1941), American Major League Baseball player
- Renaldo Snipes (b. 1956), American boxer and two time Chicago Golden Gloves Champion
- Angelo Snipes (b. 1963), former American football linebacker
- Wesley Trent Snipes (b. 1962), American actor, film producer, and martial artist
- Wyatt Eure Snipes, American politician, Member of South Carolina State Senate from Marion County, 1938-40 
- P. D. Snipes, American politician, Mayor of Raleigh, North Carolina, 1947-51 
- Alfred M. Snipes, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Oklahoma, 1972 
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Snipes +
- The Descendants & Ancestry of Young Snipes by Earl A. Truett.