on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Slye family come from? What is the English Slye family crest and coat of arms? When did the Slye family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Slye family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sleigh, Sleach, Sleich, Sleech, Sliach, Sleath, Sleith, Sleth, Sleight, Sley, Slie and many more.
First found in Derbyshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the manor of Ashe from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Slye research. Another 305 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1271, 1275, 1317, 1574, 1679, 1674 and 1756 are included under the topic Early Slye History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Slye Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Slye family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 35 words(2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Slye Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jerimiah Slye, who landed in Virginia in 1638
- Robert Slye, who arrived in Maryland in 1658
- John Slye settled in Barbados in 1680 with his servants
Slye Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Slye settled in Annapolis Maryland in 1723
- Leonard Slye (1912-1998), original name of Roy Rogers, American singer and cowboy actor, namesake of the Roy Rogers Restaurants chain
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Slye Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Slye Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 November 2014 at 12:21.
on orders of $85 or more