Shirey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Shirey family
The surname Shirey was first found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Shirey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shirey research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1376, 1503 and 1587 are included under the topic Early Shirey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shirey Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shearer, Sherar, Sherer, Sheerer and others.
Early Notables of the Shirey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Shirey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Shirey is the 5,254th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Migration of the Shirey family to Ireland
Some of the Shirey family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shirey migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shirey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anna Shirey, aged 40, who immigrated to the United States, in 1905
- Clara Shirey, aged 43, who settled in America, in 1905
- Raymond W. Shirey, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States, in 1918
Contemporary Notables of the name Shirey (post 1700) +
- Hilbert Shirey, American professional poker player, winner of over 1.4 million
- Clair Lee "Duke" Shirey (1898-1962), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played for the Washington Senators in 1920
- Bill Shirey (b. 1932), retired American NASCAR Winston Cup Series driver who competed in 72 races
- Gene "Sxip" Shirey, American composer, performer, and story-teller
- Charles Frederick "Fred" Shirey (b. 1916), American NFL football player who played from 1940 to 1941
- J. R. Shirey, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 57th District, 1917-18 
Related Stories +