Sheffer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Sheffer family
The surname Sheffer was first found in Donegal (Irish: Dún na nGall), northwest Ireland in the province of Ulster, sometimes referred to as County Tyrconnel, where they held a family seat as chiefs of their sept. Irish history was greatly influenced by the Norman invasion of 1172, and thereafter, the surnames of Irish Gaelic clanns and septs and many of the Norman families became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Derry.
Early History of the Sheffer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sheffer research. Another 84 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sheffer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sheffer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacShaffrey, MacJeffery, MacGeoffery, Shaffrey, Shaffery, MacGofrey, MacGoffery, Magofrey, Mageffery and many more.
Early Notables of the Sheffer family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Sheffer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Sheffer is the 10,025th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Sheffer migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sheffer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Michael Sheffer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1738 
- Hans Michael Sheffer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738 
- Hannan Yearach Sheffer, aged 40, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1742 
- Jon Balster Sheffer, aged 28, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1742 
- Joseph Sheffer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1743 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Sheffer (post 1700) +
- John B. II Sheffer, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly, 1979-88 (141st District 1979-82, 142nd District 1983-88) 
- Daniel Sheffer (1783-1880), American Democratic Party politician, State court judge in Pennsylvania, 1813-37; U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 12th District, 1837-39 
- Cornelius R. Sheffer, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Saratoga County 1st District, 1890-91 
Historic Events for the Sheffer family +
- Mr. George Robert Sheffer, American Seaman First Class from Indiana, USA working aboard the ship "USS Arizona" when she sunk during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7th December 1941, he died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Pearl Harbour: USS Arizona Casualties List Pearl Harbour December 7, 1941. (Retrieved 2018, July 31st). Retrieved from http://pearl-harbor.com/arizona/casualtylist.html