Shedd History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Shedd is of Anglo-Saxon origin. It is derived from the Old English word "scydd," meaning "hovel, shed," and thus refers to a "dweller at the hovel."
Early Origins of the Shedd family
The surname Shedd was first found in Yorkshire where bearers of the name have lived since early times. During the years after the Conquest, England was dominated by the Normans, and the presence of Anglo-Saxon surnames was dwarfed by the sudden influx of French. Many of these surnames survived, however, and the written history of the Shedd family dates back to this ancient period.
Early History of the Shedd family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shedd research. Another 118 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1301, 1327, 1524, 1642 and 1773 are included under the topic Early Shedd History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shedd Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shedd, Shed, Shede, Shead, Sched and others.
Early Notables of the Shedd family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Shedd Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Shedd is the 7,454th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Migration of the Shedd family to Ireland
Some of the Shedd family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 59 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Shedd family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Daniel Shed, who settled in Massachusetts in 1643; James Shed, who immigrated to Virginia in 1740; Thomas Shed, who took an oath of allegiance in Pennsylvania in 1777.
Contemporary Notables of the name Shedd (post 1700) +
- William Greenough Thayer Shedd (1820-1894), American Presbyterian theologian
- Tim Shedd, American Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Tracy Shedd, American popular singer and songwriter from Florida
- John Graves Shedd (1850-1926), American businessman, the 2nd President and Chairman of the Board of Marshall Field & Company
- Major-General William Edgar Shedd (1885-1953), American Commanding General 9th Service Command (1944-1946) 
- Dennis W Shedd (b. 1953), American federal judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Marjory Shedd (1926-2008), Canadian badminton player who won a total of 23 Canadian National Championships from the early 1950s to the early 1970s, inducted into Canada's Sports Hall of Fame in 1970
- Lillian Shedd McMurry (1921-1999), American record producer, founder of Trumpet Records (1950-1955), inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 1998
- Josiah Shedd Kenerson (b. 1832), American Republican politician, Member of Vermont State House of Representatives from Barnet, 1888 
Related Stories +