on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Shearer family come from? What is the English Shearer family crest and coat of arms? When did the Shearer family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Shearer family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shearer, Sherar, Sherer, Sheerer and others.
First found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shearer research. Another 179 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1376, 1503 and 1587 are included under the topic Early Shearer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Shearer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Shearer family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 87 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shearer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Shearer, who arrived in New England in 1720
- Donald Shearer settled in Georgia in 1735
- Caspar Shearer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
- Lawrence Shearer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
- Ludwick Shearer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1765
Shearer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Archibald Shearer arrived in Philadelphia in 1802
- Mathew Shearer, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Andrew Shearer, who landed in New York in 1820
- Robert M Shearer, who landed in New York in 1830
- Michael Shearer, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1836
Shearer Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Shearer, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Thetis"
- Elizabeth Shearer, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Oregon"
- Thomas Shearer, aged 49, a ploughman, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Adelaide"
- James Liddle Shearer, aged 46, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Caucasian"
- John Shearer, aged 49, a farmer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Amazon"
Shearer Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Shearer landed in Bay of Islands, New Zealand in 1836
- Emmeline Shearer arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Artemesia" in 1854
- John Shearer, aged 35, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Resolute" in 1865
- Jane Shearer, aged 33, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Resolute" in 1865
- Allison Shearer, aged 5, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Resolute" in 1865
- Athole Shearer (1900-1985), American actress
- Edith Norma Shearer (1902-1983), one of the most popular actresses in the world from the mid-1920s until her retirement in 1942
- Al Shearer (b. 1972), American actor
- Alan Shearer OBE, DL (b. 1970), English footballer
- Douglas G. Shearer (1899-1971), Canadian-born pioneer sound designer and recording director
- Moira Shearer (1926-2006), internationally famous Scottish ballet dancer and actress
- Janet "Jan" Lee Shearer -Jones (b. 1958), New Zealand yachtswoman who competed for New Zealand at 3 Olympic Games
- David James Shearer MBE (b. 1957), New Zealand humanitarian worker and politician
- Alex Shearer (b. 1949), British novelist
- Robert "Rob" Shearer (b. 1976), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Shearer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Shearer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 April 2015 at 06:03.
on orders of $85 or more