on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Shearer family come from? What is the English Shearer family crest and coat of arms? When did the Shearer family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Shearer family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shearer, Sherar, Sherer, Sheerer and others.
First found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shearer research. Another 179 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1376, 1503 and 1587 are included under the topic Early Shearer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Shearer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Shearer family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 87 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shearer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Shearer, who arrived in New England in 1720
- Donald Shearer settled in Georgia in 1735
- Caspar Shearer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
- Lawrence Shearer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
- Ludwick Shearer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1765
Shearer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Archibald Shearer arrived in Philadelphia in 1802
- Mathew Shearer, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Andrew Shearer, who landed in New York in 1820
- Robert M Shearer, who landed in New York in 1830
- Michael Shearer, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1836
Shearer Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Shearer, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Thetis"
- Elizabeth Shearer, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Oregon"
- Thomas Shearer, aged 49, a ploughman, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Adelaide"
- James Liddle Shearer, aged 46, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Caucasian"
- John Shearer, aged 49, a farmer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Amazon"
Shearer Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Shearer landed in Bay of Islands, New Zealand in 1836
- Emmeline Shearer arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Artemesia" in 1854
- John Shearer, aged 35, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Resolute" in 1865
- Jane Shearer, aged 33, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Resolute" in 1865
- Allison Shearer, aged 5, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Resolute" in 1865
- Athole Shearer (1900-1985), American actress
- Edith Norma Shearer (1902-1983), one of the most popular actresses in the world from the mid-1920s until her retirement in 1942
- Al Shearer (b. 1972), American actor
- Alan Shearer OBE, DL (b. 1970), English footballer
- Douglas G. Shearer (1899-1971), Canadian-born pioneer sound designer and recording director
- Moira Shearer (1926-2006), internationally famous Scottish ballet dancer and actress
- Janet "Jan" Lee Shearer -Jones (b. 1958), New Zealand yachtswoman who competed for New Zealand at 3 Olympic Games
- David James Shearer MBE (b. 1957), New Zealand humanitarian worker and politician
- Alex Shearer (b. 1949), British novelist
- Robert "Rob" Shearer (b. 1976), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
The Shearer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Shearer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 December 2014 at 23:03.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more