Early Origins of the Scullin family
The surname Scullin was first found in Wexford
(Irish: Loch Garman), founded by Vikings
as Waesfjord, and located in Southeastern Ireland
, in the province of Leinster
, where they held a family seat
as a branch of Madigan clann. Traditionally they are descended from Fiacha Araidhe the 37th King of Ulster
. More directly, they are descended from Scoieach, a chieftain
and schoolteacher of the Madigan line and related to the Mannings. Irish history was greatly influenced by the Norman invasion
of 1172, and thereafter, the surnames of Irish Gaelic clanns and septs and many of the Norman families became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in County Meath
and represented the first recorded reference to the name.
Early History of the Scullin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Scullin research.Another 141 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Scullin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Scullin Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Scallen, Scallan, Scullin, O'Scallan, O'Scallan, O'Scullin, McScallan and many more.
Early Notables of the Scullin family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Scullin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Scullin family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Scullin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Scullin, who settled in Baltimore in 1836
- Thomas Scullin, who settled in Louisiana sometime between 1841 and 1844
- Titus Scullin, who arrived in Indiana in 1849
- Titus Scullin, who landed in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1849 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Mich. Scullin, who settled in New York, NY in 1853
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Scullin Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Scullin, who settled in Montreal in 1824
Scullin Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Eliza Scullin, aged 21, a servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Constantine"
Contemporary Notables of the name Scullin (post 1700)
- John Scullin, American founder and owner of Scullin-Gallagher Iron and Steel Company, St. Louis in 1899, which later became known as Scullin Steel, but after 80 years it was closed in 1981
- Frederick Scullin (b. 1939), American attorney and senior judge on the United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- Matthew L. Scullin (b. 1983), American scientist
- Prime Minister James Henry Scullin (1876-1953), Australian politician, 9th Prime Minister of Australia (1929-1932), eponym of The Division of Scullin, a former Australian Electoral Division in the state of Victoria and the Scullin Monolith, Mac.Robertson Land, Antarctica