on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Scoggins family come from? What is the English Scoggins family crest and coat of arms? When did the Scoggins family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Scoggins family history?The Scoggins surname is of uncertain origin, but was related to a Middle English word used to describe 'stunted growth' of foliage.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Scroggs, Scrogges, Scrogs, Scroggis, Scruggs, Scroggin, Scroggins and many more.
First found in Peebles-shire in the lands of Stobo where they held a family seat at Scrogges from the 12th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Scoggins research. Another 231 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1st , 1296, 1436, 1449, 1439, 1623, 1683, 1678 and 1681 are included under the topic Early Scoggins History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Scoggins Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Scoggins Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ethel Ida Scoggins, aged 27, who landed in America from London, in 1905
- Laura Louisa Scoggins, aged 31, who settled in America from Norwich, England, in 1907
- Hartford Scoggins, aged 34, who emigrated to the United States, in 1918
- William Scoggins, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1922
- Tracy Scoggins (b. 1953), American actress, best known for her roles as Cat Grant in the television series "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman"
- Myles W. Scoggins, American academic, 16th President of the Colorado School of Mines
- Jerry Scoggins (1913-2004), American country singer, best remembered for singing "The Ballad of Jed Clampett," the theme song to the 1960s sitcom "The Beverly Hillbillies"
- Dennis Scoggins, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 7th District, 1982
- Krysta Scoggins, Canadian country singer
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Scoggins Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Scoggins Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 October 2015 at 11:47.
on orders of $85 or more