Early Origins of the Scallen family
The surname Scallen was first found in Wexford
(Irish: Loch Garman), founded by Vikings
as Waesfjord, and located in Southeastern Ireland
, in the province of Leinster
, where they held a family seat
as a branch of Madigan clann. Traditionally they are descended from Fiacha Araidhe the 37th King of Ulster
. More directly, they are descended from Scoieach, a chieftain
and schoolteacher of the Madigan line and related to the Mannings. Irish history was greatly influenced by the Norman invasion
of 1172, and thereafter, the surnames of Irish Gaelic clanns and septs and many of the Norman families became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in County Meath
and represented the first recorded reference to the name.
Early History of the Scallen family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Scallen research.Another 141 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Scallen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Scallen Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Scallen, Scallan, Scullin, O'Scallan, O'Scallan, O'Scullin, McScallan and many more.
Early Notables of the Scallen family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Scallen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Scallen family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Scallen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Barthlome Scallen, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1848
- Cornelius Scallen, who settled in Detroit in 1855
- Thomas Scallen, who arrived in St. Louis in 1860
- Hannah Scallen, who settled in Philadelphia in 1865
Scallen Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Margaret Scallen, who arrived in Quebec in 1853
- George Scallen, who settled in Quebec in 1853
- Mary Scallen, who settled in Quebec in 1853
- William Scallen, who arrived in Ontario in 1871
Contemporary Notables of the name Scallen (post 1700)
- Thomas Kaine Scallen (1925-2015), American businessman, the first owner of the NHL's Vancouver Canucks