on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the English Rowley family come from? What is the English Rowley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Rowley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Rowley family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rowley, Rowly and others.
First found in Cheshire where the family claim to be of Saxon blood but the earliest record of the name was in the time of Edward II., when Randolph de Rowley was seated at Carmichan.  There are also parishes named Rowley in Yorkshire and Staffordshire. The Assize Rolls of Yorkshire list Adam de Ruelay in 1219  and the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 list Adam de Roulay in Yorkshire. There was a significant branch in Somerset as seen by Gervase Rolegh and John Roley who were listed there during the reign of Edward I. The Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls lists Johannes de Rouley in 1379. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rowley research. Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1513, 1571, 1547, 1559, 1560, 1690, 1768, 1585, 1626 and are included under the topic Early Rowley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 137 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rowley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Rowley family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 119 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rowley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Rowley, who landed in New England in 1634
- Christopher Rowley, who landed in Maryland in 1656
- Jno Rowley, who arrived in Virginia in 1665
- Joseph and John Rowley settled in Barbados in 1686
Rowley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Rowley, who arrived in America in 1801
- Ann Rowley, aged 30, arrived in Massachusetts in 1812
- Thomas Rowley, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1833
- Nelson B Rowley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- David, George, Henry, Samuel, Thomas, and William Rowley all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870
Rowley Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Rowley, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on July 3, 1822, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- John Rowley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
- Charlotte Rowley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
- George Tattle Rowley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
- Eliza Rowley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
Rowley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Rowley arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- Timothy Rowley, aged 31, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maori" in 1864
- Catherine Rowley, aged 27, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maori" in 1864
- John Thomas Rowley, aged 1, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maori" in 1864
- John C. Rowley, aged 27, a plumber, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Wild Duck" in 1873
- Jeremy Rowley, American character actor and comedian
- Christopher Rowley (b. 1948), American Compton Crook Award winning writer of science fiction and fantasy
- Janet Davison Rowley (1925-2013), American human geneticist, the first scientist to identify a chromosomal translocation as the cause of leukemia, awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009
- Cynthia Rowley (b. 1958), American fashion designer
- James Jose Rowley (1908-1992), American administrator, director of the U.S. Secret Service (1961-1973)
- William Spencer "Bill" Rowley (1865-1939), English football goalkeeper
- Beth Rowley (b. 1981), English singer-songwriter
- Geoffrey Joseph Rowley Jr. (b. 1976), English professional skateboarder, co-owner of Flip Skateboards
- Paul Rowley (b. 1975), English retired rugby league footballer
- Hugh Campbell Rowley (1854-1882), English rugby union international who represented England from 1879 to 1882
- The Shepard Genealogy by Lowell Shepard Blaisdell.
- One Branch of the Tree: Rowley 1630-1986 by Ralph Duane Rowley.
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
The Rowley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rowley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 February 2016 at 18:34.
on orders of $85 or more