on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the English Rowley family come from? What is the English Rowley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Rowley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Rowley family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rowley, Rowly and others.
First found in Cheshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rowley research. Another 149 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1513, 1571, 1547, 1559, 1560, 1690, 1768, 1585 and 1626 are included under the topic Early Rowley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 137 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rowley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Rowley family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 119 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rowley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Rowley, who landed in New England in 1634
- Christopher Rowley, who landed in Maryland in 1656
- Jno Rowley, who arrived in Virginia in 1665
- Joseph and John Rowley settled in Barbados in 1686
Rowley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Rowley, who arrived in America in 1801
- Ann Rowley, aged 30, arrived in Massachusetts in 1812
- Thomas Rowley, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1833
- Nelson B Rowley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- David, George, Henry, Samuel, Thomas, and William Rowley all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870
Rowley Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Rowley, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on July 3, 1822, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- John Rowley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
- Charlotte Rowley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
- George Tattle Rowley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
- Eliza Rowley arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
Rowley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Rowley arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- Timothy Rowley, aged 31, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maori" in 1864
- Catherine Rowley, aged 27, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maori" in 1864
- John Thomas Rowley, aged 1, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Maori" in 1864
- John C. Rowley, aged 27, a plumber, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Wild Duck" in 1873
- James Jose Rowley (1908-1992), American administrator, director of the U.S. Secret Service (1961-1973)
- Cynthia Rowley (b. 1958), American fashion designer
- Janet Davison Rowley (1925-2013), American human geneticist, the first scientist to identify a chromosomal translocation as the cause of leukemia, awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009
- Christopher Rowley (b. 1948), American Compton Crook Award winning writer of science fiction and fantasy
- Jeremy Rowley, American character actor and comedian
- John Frederick "Jack" Rowley (1920-1998), English football striker who played from the 1930s through the 1950s
- Graham Westbrook Rowley CM MBE (1912-2003), English Arctic explorer, recipient of the Massey Medal in 1963, eponym of Rowley Island
- Kenneth Francis "Ken" Rowley (1926-1995), English footballer
- Arthur Rowley (1933-2014), English footballer who played from 1952 to 1956
- Hugh Campbell Rowley (1854-1882), English rugby union international who represented England from 1879 to 1882
- The Shepard Genealogy by Lowell Shepard Blaisdell.
- One Branch of the Tree: Rowley 1630-1986 by Ralph Duane Rowley.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Rowley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rowley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 January 2015 at 12:49.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more