100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The surname Roland was first found in Ayrshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland
, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire
, where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland
to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rolland, Roland, Rowland, Rowlands, Rowlandson, Rolan and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roland research. Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1184, 1196, 1296, and 1555 are included under the topic Early Roland History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roland Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Roland family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 270 words (19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roland Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Roland settled in Virginia in 1656
- Francis Roland, who settled in Virginia in 1656
- Francis Roland, who arrived in Virginia in 1656
- Thomas Roland, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1682
Roland Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Abraham Roland, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1750
- Henrich Roland, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1772
- Henry Roland settled in Pennsylvania in 1772
Roland Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Roland arrived in Philadelphia in 1804
- Monsieur Roland, who landed in New York in 1819
- J. Roland settled in Baltimore in 1820
- John Roland, who landed in Mississippi in 1840
- Johann Christoph Roland, aged 32, arrived in Missouri in 1845
Roland Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Elisabeth Roland, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Ernst Roland, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Friederick Roland, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1757
Roland Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- G. Roland arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Cheapside" in 1849
- M.A. Roland arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Senator" in 1849
Roland Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Roland arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ann Wilson" in 1857
- E.W. Roland arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ann Wilson" in 1857
- Mary A. Roland arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ann Wilson" in 1857
- Josephine Roland arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ann Wilson" in 1857
- Edward Roland, aged 27, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Agnes Muir" in 1872
- Ruth Roland (1892-1937), American stage and film actress and film producer
- Johnny Earl Roland (b. 1943), American NFL football running back, inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame
- John Roland (b. 1941), American journalist
- Joe Roland (b. 1920), American jazz vibraphonist
- Gilbert Roland (1905-1994), Mexican-born, American two-time Golden Globe Award nominated actor
- Gene Roland (1921-1981), American jazz composer and musician
- Edwin J. Roland (1905-1985), American twelfth Commandant of the United States Coast Guard (1962 to 1966)
- Edgar "Ed" Eugene Roland III (b. 1963), American musician and vocalist of the alternative rock band Collective Soul
- Dennis Roland (b. 1983), American football offensive tackle
- Charles P. Roland (b. 1918), American historian, professor emeritus of the University of Kentucky
- The Roland and Spicer Families of Maryland and Dorset, England by Charles Thomas Roland.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Roland Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Roland Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 August 2015 at 15:11.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!