100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, French, Scottish
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rolland, Roland, Rowland, Rowlands, Rowlandson, Rolan and many more.
First found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roland research. Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1184, 1196, 1296, and 1555 are included under the topic Early Roland History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roland Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Roland family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 270 words (19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roland Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Roland settled in Virginia in 1656
- Francis Roland, who settled in Virginia in 1656
- Francis Roland, who arrived in Virginia in 1656
- Thomas Roland, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1682
Roland Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Abraham Roland, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1750
- Henrich Roland, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1772
- Henry Roland settled in Pennsylvania in 1772
Roland Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Roland arrived in Philadelphia in 1804
- Monsieur Roland, who landed in New York in 1819
- J. Roland settled in Baltimore in 1820
- John Roland, who landed in Mississippi in 1840
- Johann Christoph Roland, aged 32, arrived in Missouri in 1845
Roland Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Elisabeth Roland, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Ernst Roland, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1757
- Friederick Roland, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1757
Roland Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- G. Roland arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Cheapside" in 1849
- M.A. Roland arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Senator" in 1849
Roland Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Roland arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ann Wilson" in 1857
- E.W. Roland arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ann Wilson" in 1857
- Mary A. Roland arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ann Wilson" in 1857
- Josephine Roland arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ann Wilson" in 1857
- Edward Roland, aged 27, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Agnes Muir" in 1872
- Ruth Roland (1892-1937), American stage and film actress and film producer
- Johnny Earl Roland (b. 1943), American NFL football running back, inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame
- John Roland (b. 1941), American journalist
- Joe Roland (b. 1920), American jazz vibraphonist
- Gilbert Roland (1905-1994), Mexican-born, American two-time Golden Globe Award nominated actor
- Gene Roland (1921-1981), American jazz composer and musician
- Edwin J. Roland (1905-1985), American twelfth Commandant of the United States Coast Guard (1962 to 1966)
- Edgar "Ed" Eugene Roland III (b. 1963), American musician and vocalist of the alternative rock band Collective Soul
- Dennis Roland (b. 1983), American football offensive tackle
- Charles P. Roland (b. 1918), American historian, professor emeritus of the University of Kentucky
- The Roland and Spicer Families of Maryland and Dorset, England by Charles Thomas Roland.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Roland Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Roland Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 August 2015 at 15:11.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!