Riggle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Riggle is a name whose history is connected to the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Riggle family once lived in a settlement called Wrigley, which experts theorize was in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The surname Riggle belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Riggle family
The surname Riggle was first found in Staffordshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
Early History of the Riggle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Riggle research. Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Riggle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Riggle Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Riggle family name include Wrigley, Wrigly, Rigley, Riggeley and others.
Early Notables of the Riggle family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Riggle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Riggle is the 8,026th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Riggle migration to the United States +
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Riggle surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Riggle Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Arthur E. Riggle, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1919
- M. Herbert Riggle, aged 50, who settled in Akron, Indiana, in 1923
- Minnie Riggle, aged 49, who immigrated to Akron, Indiana, in 1923
Contemporary Notables of the name Riggle (post 1700) +
- Rob Riggle, American Primetime Emmy nominated actor and comedian, known for his work in 21 Jump Street (2012), The Hangover (2009) and The Other Guys (2010)
- Beth Riggle, American gold and bronze medalist Paralympic swimmer at the 2004 Summer Paralympics
- Steve Riggle, American founding pastor and current Senior Pastor of Grace Community Church, a megachurch in Houston, Texas
- Robert Allen "Rob" Riggle Jr. (b. 1970), American actor and comedian
- Sallie A. Riggle, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Tyler County, 1928 
- Janice Riggle Huie (b. 1946), American bishop of the United Methodist Church
Related Stories +